• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Repair Broken Pin

Terry Seabold

New User
Feb 12, 2014
I have a Kieninger RWU 03 9 Bell movement being cleaned and oiled. While putting the movement back together, the pin on the chime second gear with the alarm pin broke off. I have not had this happen before, and am unsure as to how to repair this. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Second Chime Gear.jpg

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I have a Kieninger RWU 03 9 Bell movement being cleaned and oiled. While putting the movement back together, the pin on the chime second gear with the alarm pin broke off. I have not had this happen before, and am unsure as to how to repair this. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

View attachment 672880
You will need a lathe to replace the broken pivot. A hole must be drilled into the arbor where the pivot broke off. It MUST be centered. Then a new pivot insertsed into the hole. The new pivot must be the right size so it fits the hole in the plate snuggly. Do you have equipment to do that task? If not, you may need to farm it out.

Reactions: disciple_dan

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Fortunately it is not the pivot that broke off. It is the stop pin. I did one recently where the pin fit back in the hole and then I soldered the base of the pin to the brass wheel. If no hole, then you must make a small one - perhaps drilling out the broken portion of the pin in the wheel.

PS I had to use solder since the original hole was at the end of the wheel diameter and broken (did not have metal all around the hole).

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You can use a very sharp punch, or a large sewing needle with the point ground off, to remove the broken part. The pin can be replaced with a small tapered steel clock pin. Tap it in very gently (using a backer/clock anvil) and trim both sides with a Dremel/cut-off wheel. After doing the cut-off, lightly re-seat the pin.

To make the new pin bite better, it can be scared by twirling it against 150 sandpaper, before installing it. I have purchased small pins that came scarified at the start.

Willie X

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
As I enlarged the photo, it seems the pivot is broken off, not the stop pin.
It might be best to seek a qualified clock repair person (micro machinist) capable of replacing the pivot.
You might also contact Mark Butterworth or Black Forest Imports to see if a replacement wheel and arbor is available.
Pivots are normally broken/bent due to rough handling during assembly.
It would be good to check all of the pivots for being bent or broken.
Best,
Dick

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
together, the pin on the chime second gear with the alarm pin broke off
If you are trying to order a replacement, It would be helpful to know gears in clocks are called wheels. The wheel in question is likely the 4th or 5th wheel in that chime train. Some times that wheel is referred to as the "warn stop wheel." The first wheel is the largest and on the bottom.
Best Regards,
Dick

Terry Seabold

New User
Feb 12, 2014

View attachment 672880
Well, I guess you're never too old to learn new things. I've been rebuilding and making clocks for over 30 years, but I guess I never learned the proper notation. To clarify, it is the 4th wheel (stop/warn), and it is the pivot that is broken off. I do have a Sherline, so I will be using a centering drill with appropriate drill bit and pivot rod. Thanks to all for the advise and proper notation.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Well, I guess you're never too old to learn new things. I've been rebuilding and making clocks for over 30 years, but I guess I never learned the proper notation. To clarify, it is the 4th wheel (stop/warn), and it is the pivot that is broken off. I do have a Sherline, so I will be using a centering drill with appropriate drill bit and pivot rod. Thanks to all for the advise and proper notation.
Terry, welcome to the forum. Since the forum labeled you as a new user, we assumed you were a newbie at clock repair. Please don’t feel intimidated about the terminology thing. I, and others here, have learned much new terminology as we ask for help and offer help to others here on the message board. You sound like you are well equipped to handle the pivot replacement. A Sherline does a great job in that task.
Please become a part of our group here. We need experienced people like you to contribute your knowledge.
Will

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
My comments were certainly not meant to be intimidating.
Yes, welcome and we hope to hear from you often.
Dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ken64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-