Repainting globe on 400 day Kaiser

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Peter W, Jul 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    i got this tip thanks to Martin M. I washed the blue globe then worked on the Southern Hemisphere to practice. Only four land masses of size. I covered the sea quite thickly with Elmers school glue and used a pencil, or wife’s kebab stick would do, to push glue into awkward places like Indonesia’s islands north of Australia. Let glue dry overnight then hung hemisphere on a rotating string and sprayed. When dry, 10 minutes in sun and peel off in one coat the dried glue. Works a treat, just need to practice a bit more but the system is perfect. Maybe I can touch up with spray paint on a brush. All the work is in applying the glue.

0D9CEF1D-D4EF-4198-BE93-69244A356486.jpeg F6CC6350-AF22-474B-A15D-A120AE77CE21.jpeg

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Novel idea. I like it.

3. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. I’m now doing northern hemisphere in stages. Very fiddly work around Europe and Central America. I watered down the glue a trifle and painted it on. Taking a break in The Mediterranean! In Kaiser’s world!

4. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never been brave enough to just try peeling the mask off, assuming it'd lift the paint in unwanted places or ways.
    I always just scuffed the paint where the glue was so a soak in water could get through to dissolve the glue.