Repainting globe on 400 day Kaiser

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Peter W, Jul 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    i got this tip thanks to Martin M. I washed the blue globe then worked on the Southern Hemisphere to practice. Only four land masses of size. I covered the sea quite thickly with Elmers school glue and used a pencil, or wife’s kebab stick would do, to push glue into awkward places like Indonesia’s islands north of Australia. Let glue dry overnight then hung hemisphere on a rotating string and sprayed. When dry, 10 minutes in sun and peel off in one coat the dried glue. Works a treat, just need to practice a bit more but the system is perfect. Maybe I can touch up with spray paint on a brush. All the work is in applying the glue.

0D9CEF1D-D4EF-4198-BE93-69244A356486.jpeg F6CC6350-AF22-474B-A15D-A120AE77CE21.jpeg

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Novel idea. I like it.

3. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. I’m now doing northern hemisphere in stages. Very fiddly work around Europe and Central America. I watered down the glue a trifle and painted it on. Taking a break in The Mediterranean! In Kaiser’s world!

4. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never been brave enough to just try peeling the mask off, assuming it'd lift the paint in unwanted places or ways.
    I always just scuffed the paint where the glue was so a soak in water could get through to dissolve the glue.