National Meeting Reorganizing National Meeting Web Site

Discussion in 'NAWCC Events' started by Tom McIntyre, Aug 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We have tw on-line aspects of our National Meetings. The first is the Meeting Registration System that is part of our iMIS Membership services system where members may register and pay for events in general and the upcoming National Meeting in particular.

The second site is the reporting facility for the event where there can be quite a lot of reporting and information abuot the event that is difficult to include with the registration package.

This second function for 2019 was hosted at 2019NationalConvention.nawcc.org. I am currently reorganizing the site and trying to set it up so that we can have a reasonably uniform way of showing options and reporting progress on the site. As a first step, I have moved the previous 2019 information to https://natcon.nawcc.org/2019/. As soon as I can get it all working and standardize the software a bit, we will have the 2020 site available at the similar URL. That will be another week or so.

2. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, Tom!

A couple of suggestions, if I may: It would greatly help with readability if we went with a 3- or even 4-column format. The line length I see is about 135 characters, which is very difficult to read.

More pictures and more headlines and subheads in boldface and a contrasting font will also add a lot to attractiveness. Nothing wrong with serif font for body copy and sans-serif for heads and subs.

I don't know what iMIS permits with respect to online registration, but again, the formats I've seen in the past weren't very user-friendly.

I am happy to help if I can.

Best regards!

Tim

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tim,

The current layouts are single column because it is a little easier to work with mobile devices, which many of the clients for the site are using. At the moment I am just trying to recreate the current site with more flexible tools.

For example, on the 2019 site each page had all the header content, so that any edit to the top material had to be replicated to each of the pages. The new version will just re-use those elements. Some pieces of the site have static sizes that are not easy to handle on mobile devices, etc.