Renaissance Clocks

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Dr. Jon, May 8, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Patrizzi Catalog of Pre Pendulum renaissance Clocks is one of finest most sumptuous books on horology I have ever seen. Its a free down load from
    http://www.patrizziauction.com/index.php/en/catalogs/european-renaissance-clocks/a-choice-of-catalogs/238.

IMHO it's the same level of presentation as La misura del tempo.

Many, many, great photos and a lot of text.

Its a single owner sale the this collector seems to have really known what to buy.

They sent me a copy of the catalog and in print its fabulous. This is an amazing book and with a free download the price is right.

I am a watch guy and if I did not have copy I would buy it.

This is an area far beyond my knowledge and understanding so I am not endorsing the salke but don't miss this catalog/

2. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Fortunat Mueller-Maerki, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
    Dr. Jon is asolutly correct, this is one of the best auction catalogs ever produced.

I have had the priviledge of seeing the actual clocks in the owners residence and they are fabulous (and yes many of them are the ones that were also in the Misura del tempo exhibit).

Philip Poniz took several months to document these 70 pre-pendulum clocks in a scholarly manner foR Patrizzi and the catalog is undoutedly the finest book on the subject of renaissance clocks ever produced.

Even if I have seen the clocks before I am tempted to make a one day trip to Europe during the preview just to get a chache to take them into my hands and see the inside of them up close. These auction previews are the BEST way to experience high grade horology, you get closer to the stuff than at any museum.

The Library in Columbia will have a copy of the catalog in its collection post auction for members to study.

Fortunat

Attached Files:

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks for your kind words on my note.

This is a catalog to own and read even if you have never seen or have had any previous interest in Renaissance clocks.

A bit of a story. The book, La misura del tempo, is an amazingly beautiful one. While I was in Columbia, taking a course the librarian showed me the book once she figured out that I have a love of great books on horology and she knew this book was not in my areas of interest.

Once I had seen the book I had to buy it even though it is in Italian and I do not read or speak the language. (I did have Latin so I am not complely lost but vey nearly so). I liked the book enough to get an Italian horological dictionary.

The point of all this is that the current Renaissance Clock Catalog is at least as good a book as La misura del tempo, except that it in English and its free for the downloading. It's a huge download.

The hard copy is at least as well produced as La misura del tempo. It superbly printed with hard glossy cardboard covers. They are charging 50 euros. That is typically what book postage costs from Europe. It would cost more than that to print the download on a good color printer. It is an absolure steal.

No red blooded horologist should miss this one, no matter what you normally collect. It is that good.

4. Ansomnia

Ansomnia Registered User

Sep 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gentlemen, I just want to thank you both for mentioning and discussing the La misura del tempo catalogue. I picked up a copy some weeks ago and have found it both a beautiful picture book and a very useful reference.

It appears the Patrizzi auction was from part of the collezione Luigi Koelliker of Milan, an incredible collection of interesting Renaissance artifacts from many disciplines in addition to horology.

I actually visited Milan a few years ago and found it a wonderful city to visit in its own rights. I only wished I knew about this collection at the time for it may be some years before I am able to make another visit.

Anyway, I really appreciate your sharing this information. :thumb:

Michael

5. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although the auction catalog does not say so anywhere every single one of the clocks in the auction was from the Koelliker collection, which I had the priviledge of seeing in situ a few years ago in Milano.

As Ansomnia points out the collection has many other things but clocks. The renaissance clocks are gone but -I believe- there is still an incredible collection of italian 19th century bracket clocks.

But the renaissance clocks were probably the best such assembly in private hands anywhere in recent decades.

Fortunat

6. HowardHorology

HowardHorology Registered User

Mar 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
  7. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Howard, you are responding to a 10 year old listing, don't know whether anyone is listening.

HowardHorology likes this.
  8. HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am new here. Perhaps you can explain the protocol, please. Are we only to respond to new topics. Should one post new topics instead of responding to old topics? I always thought from other groups it was best to search first to see if a topic had been explored previously before posting on it again so as to accumulate all the contributions in one place.

9. HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It really doesn't matter, Richie. These are not pressing questions. I am really just looking around in order to find possible books to look for. I just acquired two that I need to finish anyways. Cheers!

10. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    DeanT might be very interested as he collects these clocks. I had no idea about this thread, thank you for bringing it back.

It is not a question of protocol, just the nature of the internet (and life) that some of the original contributors may not still be here.

11. HowardHorology

Mar 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
  12. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1) I also appreciate bringing this thread back. I may have had hard copies but I mistakenly pitched them. Thanks to the revival of this thread I found that I still have them on my computer!
    2) The Amazon listing is for this set of books, the Auction catalog