Removing hands from Gilbert clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by pineneedle, Jan 11, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pineneedle

pineneedle Guest

The motor is not working (two tiny wires have been cut off inside the case) on my Gilbert 1807 clock I believe is from the 20s or 30s. I decided to put in a battery operated unit but I can't get the hands off of the motor assembly. I was able to get the second hand off of the unit by removing a tiny metal ring that slipped over the stem but I can't figure out how the other two come off. I tried pulling them up,turning them etc but they won't budge. I don't want to break them as I want them on the battery unit,so I'll wait for advice. Thanks.

2. pineneedle

pineneedle Guest

The motor is not working (two tiny wires have been cut off inside the case) on my Gilbert 1807 clock I believe is from the 20s or 30s. I decided to put in a battery operated unit but I can't get the hands off of the motor assembly. I was able to get the second hand off of the unit by removing a tiny metal ring that slipped over the stem but I can't figure out how the other two come off. I tried pulling them up,turning them etc but they won't budge. I don't want to break them as I want them on the battery unit,so I'll wait for advice. Thanks.

3. timelyrestorations

timelyrestorations Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 26, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Hi;

They should be friction fit, but have probably been on for an extended period of time. Try a little penetrating oil between the hands and the shaft. Let it soak overnight, then gentle rotation back and forth while applying pressure upwards. The hands will not fit the battery movement without modifications, ie: broaching or bushing.

Cheers,
    Doug

4. pineneedle

pineneedle Guest

Thanks, Doug. Is there a source that sells the replacement motors? It looks like a small wire from the motor shorted out as there is a small bluish-black area on the back plate. The workings only says Pat. Appl For. The paper motor(?) wrapping has the number 439 on it. If it can be replaced, I'd rather do that than convert it to battery but I suspect it would be much more expensive if there is a source at all. Thanks. Linda

5. Tom Kloss

Tom Kloss Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Male
    Retired from one job, started another.
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Paper or cloth tape was not uncommon in early electrics. I may have a used motor or coil, if U can provide a picture of the motor maybe I can help you out.

Klossee

6. Past Tyme

Past Tyme Registered User

Dec 29, 2004
    Hi Linda

Doug is right,some penetrating fluid over night will help.You could also try a small clock hand puller,if there is room.If you don't have one they are available at most supply houses.You could also try a local good will clock shop for help.
    Hope this helps
    Best of luck
    Cheers Shawn

7. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you "PINEY" for joining us here. This is a GREAT buncha guise 'n gals that love questions, give a lot of answers and some of the answers are even helpful. I understand a few worked for Radio Shack at one time. But "PINEY". Don't pine and don't jump to conclusions. I play with electricity for a hobby. Most people see a sign of electrical failure - a black blotch or sign or previous electrical flash, etc. and believe all is lost. Those manifestations are simply a clue to the problem. Perhaps that cloth tape came loose and allowed bare wire to become grounded with the ensuing flash, arc, and blackening. It may simply be that fresh tape or a re-termination of a wire is necessary. Your motor MAY indeed still be good and if not many times can be repaired. C'mon Piney; Wipe those tears.

8. pineneedle

pineneedle Guest

I just posted a picture of the clock's insides to a website. Both little wires are pretty bare as it comes out of the coil or whatever it is (see photo). Do I dare attach a new cord to these if I make sure they don't touch each other so I can check and see if it would work? Since I'm asking, I'll ask another question. How do you know if it is an electric AC or an early battery clock? I'm not crying Scottie-TX :) , however I'm frustrated as I went to the library and did lots of searches on the internet and there isn't anything on electric clocks, just the older mechanical clocks. So finding this site is making me hopeful that I may get my clock up and running. I'll appreciate any knowledge anyone is willing to share. Here is the photo:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/res7qyvb/id1.html

9. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Even better gnus "Piney" ! Scroll on down and there, like an orphan, is a topic board devoted exclusively to early electric clox. Mebbe Phil'll (say that five times fast ) Phil'll post it also there. Lessee. I feel rather certain this is wall voltag AC. For one, if a battery motor there will need to be a battery compartment or many times evidence that battery chemicals resided there. Battery movements often have much smaller wires because current and voltage requirements are low. Now those wires. Somebody who is qualified, has done this before, needs to test that coil and if good - attach new power cord. You see that insulation must be removed from the coil, the old wire detached and a new one attached there and new insulation applied. I've seen where people splice a new power cord onto those frayed remnants. That's not a good, safe, or reliable practise. I'd say there may be a good possibility that coil and motor MAY be good. I'm not going to recommend to you but I'd test clip it to a cord, plug it in and one of two things will happen. Either it'll work or it won't. If it works - terminate new cord to coil !