• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Removing Barrel Cap

NewBernWatchmaker

Jun 1, 2018
New Bern, NC
Country
I read "lift open with screwdriver" but I can not get a screwdriver to get between the spring and cap and when it slips it scratches the cap. Anyone have a trick?

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
Yes. The method we were taught in Switz. was to press the cap off using the arbor. There are some barrels with no slot, just a lip and some barrels (37500) are a very tight fit. For the 37500 and the Lecoultre, I made a Delrin die that the barrel fits into nicely and it rests on the teeth. Then I press out the cover/arbor with a press. If you do a lot of pocket watches it may be worthwhile to adapt this to PW barrels.

I use a Delin stake to replace the covers (Bergeon sells this for about $40, a Delrin slug is like 50 cents).

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Yeah, the screwdriver method only works with lids that have a slot or half hole in them. I use the finger nail method most of the time, even if a lid has a slot in it. If the lid gets deformed, at least it gets deformed uniformly as opposed to a lid bent by a screwdriver. If I need to correct it I’ll use my Favorite jewelling tool with a large diameter hollow stump and push in the middle to take out the “bowl” from the lid.

NewBernWatchmaker

Jun 1, 2018
New Bern, NC
Country
Thanks guys I would have never thought to put force on the arbor but it makes sense, doesn't scratch the cap or barrel, and the cap is easy to straighten if it does become distorted. Thumbs up all around!

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I would just add a word of caution about some jeweled barrels, safety barrels or motor barrels. Some of these (notably Waltham barrels with jeweled mainwheel) require disassembly of the arbor before the mainspring can be accessed. If one tries to just press out the cover using the arbor they can damage the entire assembly.

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
Speaking of barrels, I just did an elgin BWR Gr 240. I replaced the mainspring. Winders were no help, the arbors were not big enough. Plus the sprig goes in reverse of "normal". Then there is the hook to deal with.

Wound up putting the barrel in a collet of a 102 lathe. Installed the main wheel. Turned the lathe by hand while holding the main wheel and pressing it into the spring. Took some fiddling to get the hook to seat.

Spring is too strong to wind by hand.

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks for the suggestion to put the barrel in a collet Dewey and turn by hand on the lathe. Indeed some of those old springs are strong - especially on the old verge-fusee watches I like to work on, plus on those the spring winds the "other way" (as you indicated for your watch), making usual winders not applicable. Cheers.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Robert,

Since nearly all fusees have a spring that's wound the 'wrong' way, and sets of left-handed winders are expensive, I either put an extra hook facing the opposite way in the winder arbor, (Bergeon pattern), or make a brass arbor that fits the collar and is held in a stout hand vice.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjornburton
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent