American PW Removing a plate jewel

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Onceold, Apr 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. Onceold

Onceold New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Hello. I am trying to extract the third wheel plate jewel from a Waltham '83. I have a tool which is supposed to undercut the bezel edge which holds the jewel in place. However, the tool is conical in interior shape and the jewel is shaped so that the tool has cut some of the metal away but can no longer reach all of the bezel because the cone shape is not deep enough. Is there another tool which is more cylindrical in shape which would do the same thing? Two other jewels in this plate have already been removed. They appear to have been pressed out and the bezel edge is rolled back and is still present and does not appear to have been cut away. Is it possible to press these out with a Seitz tool without undercutting the plate? Is the jewel strong enough to withstand an even and constant pressure as opposed to being pecked at by hammer blows, no matter how gentle, and too gentle to get the job done? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you. Howard Marken, Columbia City, IN.

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    No. You don't cut away the bezel edge. I suppose it is too late now if I have read you correctly. It is possible to press them out with a seitz tool and save the bezel for resetting the correct jewel if you have one.

3. ANDY YALE

ANDY YALE Registered User
    Donor

Jun 14, 2013
    A photo would be helpful. It sounds like you are dealing with jewels that are burnished in. In that case, the reccomended tool is a jewel setting opener, which sounds like what you have. They ususally come with several tips to fit different size settings, which would address the problem you are having.
    However, in my limited experience, they do not work very well. The metal of old watches is said to get brittle, and breaks off in chunks, instead of neatly following the tools edge.
    The last time I took out a burnished plate jewel, I had recourse to a sailmakers needle, I just scraped the burnish away from the setting until it would pop out with pressure from a piece of pegwood.
    Some jewel will bust even when gently tapped with the correct hollow stake, others can take a beating and come out whole.
    My opinion is you can't tap or press it out until you get the burnish clear.
    Other people will likely have more advice.

4. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    I replace this type of jewels every so often and the Seitz jewel tool is useful to press out the old jewel.

You then need to open the hole with a jewel opening tool.

The replacement jewel shuld be of a rubbed in type. Not the friction type. (The rubbed in are often pink.)

I fit a jewel that is "snug" and I use the Seirz tool to make sure it is seated properly before I close the brass around the jewel. Again a special set of closing tools is useful but you can fold the brass with a special tool you see in the following film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3gxp96WjCI
    (In the film you see hhow he has to adopt a jewel that is too thick! With the right jewel you can skip this part.)

5. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2003
    If the jewel is bad, why does it matter if it breaks more? If the jewel isn't bad why are you removing it?

6. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User

Jan 2, 2016

7. PWfanatik

PWfanatik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Seems I have seen a recent post about replacing rubbed in jewels,,,