Remove Rusted Movement from case.

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by cj415, Apr 13, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cj415

cj415 Registered User

Nov 30, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 cj415, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    I am working on a dive watch. It's a one-piece case (open through crystal) and it looks like the seals leaked at some point and there is rust on the movement.

I removed the crystal and I was able to lift the dial up enough to release the dial screws and remove the dial, but the rest of the movement is stuck in the case back.

Any suggestions on how to get this movement out of the case. Of course, I want to salvage as much of the movements as possible (as well as the case!).

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Lorne

Lorne Registered User

Jul 31, 2008
    You can always try Naval Jelly. It will break down the rust but shouldn't attack the metal.

3. technitype

technitype Registered User

Feb 19, 2012
    Electro-mechanical technician
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Frankly, I wouldn't try that- I suspect that Naval Jelly will attack the plate and bridges of the watch...but then, you may have more experience than I have.

If it were me, I would try ultrasonically cleaning the watch in kerosene- that should not harm what is left of the watch.

4. cj415

cj415 Registered User

Nov 30, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the tips... I think I'll start slowly and move up from there. I'll put it in the ultrasonic with just water and then try some L&R Ultrasonic solution. If those don't work, I'll put out the bigger guns.

Thanks again,
    Chris

5. zcjaais

zcjaais Registered User

Jun 30, 2011
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've had similar experience with a dive watch. Soaked it in weapons cleaning fine oil over night, then cleaned in zippo lighter fluid. All the rubber gaskets do swell up from the oil, but they were probably faulty anyway. I have also used penetrating releasing oil with success.