Remove One Coat of Paint from Dial

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by Dick C, Aug 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Is there a process by which one can remove one coat of paint from a dial in order to save a possible signature that may be on the dial?

This dial dates back to the 1810 - 1820 period and appears to have been repainted at one point.

Thanks for any help with this one.

Dial Back.jpg Dial Front.jpg

2. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, and it will take maybe 40-50 hours of labour, if not double or triple that. Generally a correct solvent must be used (and determining that can be either trial and error or with chemical analysis in a lab). Then it's applied gently with swabs, and slowly, carefully rubbed over the surface, an inch at a time until the top layer is removed.

Below is an example of a dial where I stripped-off a lop layer of paint. The dial had been white-washed, and I was able to remove the white paint, the over-painted black (on top of the existing numerals), and PARTIALLY saved the centre dial signature, but in the process I lost the original black in the numerals, and a small portion of the line work. Corner flowers survived perfectly. This took MONTHS of work.

P1240426.jpg P1270456.jpg