Mechanical WW removal of wax from NOS case

G

gmacg

Greetings,

I have a NOS case for my old Omega Memomatic. The case arrived with what appears to be purple wax covering certain areas; i.e. edges and back.

I'd be grateful on advice as to how to remove this material safely. For example, I would think that I'd want to avoid use of solvent that might damage the gasket.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

gmacg

G

gmacg

Greetings,

I have a NOS case for my old Omega Memomatic. The case arrived with what appears to be purple wax covering certain areas; i.e. edges and back.

I'd be grateful on advice as to how to remove this material safely. For example, I would think that I'd want to avoid use of solvent that might damage the gasket.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

gmacg

S

Stephen1529

Well it seems like you need to remove wax. Which does not disolve in regular soap and water and you are leery of using a solvent. If it was up to me I would try to carefully remove as much was as possible with either a toothpick or a wooden chopstick. I would then rub the case with a rag creating a small amount of heat by just using the rag that might physically remove the rest of the wax. _Steve

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
gmacg,

I use a small amount of acetone on a paper towel. You definitely want to keep acetone away from acrylic crystals and case gaskets, so it is best to give the use of acetone some thought before you plunge in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javier B
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller