Remontoir Cylindre 10 Rubis watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Linda C, Sep 21, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Linda C

Linda C New Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

I inherited this Remontoir Cylindre 10 Rubis watch from my German mother, but I think it actually belonged to my German grandmother before.(My mother was bon in 1923 if that helps date it?)

I have searched the internet and have found nothing to really compare this to I am hoping someone on this site can provide some information and perhaps approximate value of this beautiful watch.

Thank you,
    Linda

Attached Files:

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A clear picture of the works inside the watch would be very helpful. It is 14K gold with what looks like enamel enhancements. I would be curious about what movement is inside the case, if you can open the rear cover over the movement, take a photo please.

3. Linda C

Linda C New Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Country Flag:
    I'm sorry but I don't know how to get to the works. Is it somehow behind the part that says 'Cylindre 10 Rubis'?

4. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Yes Linda, that is right. You should be able to see a flange, or lip, in that cover and by carefully inserting a blade behind that flange and pushing it around the edge of the cover, it should just pop up. Just be very careful that the blade doesn't slip out - that could damage the case or (more importantly) your hand!

If you can't do that, post again and show us a photo of the side of the cover and we'll advise you further.

By the way, the decoration on that case looks exceptional :eek:

5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 16, 2000
    Star of David hands?

6. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    That mirrored-faces trademark on the case has been intriguing me. I finally found a similar (but far from identical) trademark on Mikrolisk, shown below, registered in 1907 by Wenger & Co, Basel, Switzerland.

bildmarke_wenger4.jpg

7. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    Male
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Janus was the trademark of Braunschweig & Hirsch.
    janus.jpg

regards enrico

8. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Linda,

Nobody seems to have explained the meaning of the French words engraved on the inner lid, (the "cuvette"). "Remontoir" refers to the winding via a crown on the stem, "cylindre" refers to the type of escapement, (the parts that measure out the power of the spring steadily so that the watch keeps running at the proper rate), and "10 rubis" means that there are 10 ruby jewels acting as bearings to reduce friction in the movement.

Regards,

Graham

9. Linda C

Linda C New Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #9 Linda C, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Thank you for your kind assistance. I finally got the back open and have taken the picture, but now am having trouble inserting the image! I will try again and hope it attachés. I would like to say that though the picture makes the works look dirty, it is actually so shiny and clean. Thank you for your comment about the artwork on the cover and back. I agree! I wonder if it is hand-painted, as the cover is totally smooth to the touch.

watch works.JPG