Help reharden Brocot pallets??

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
I have some hard pallets that another person has put in this clock. They have not been filled to the correct % to make the escapement operational. I have heated them to red and let them cool slowly and now I'm not sure how to make them hard again.
How is that done? Or is it?
Thanks, Danny

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
What kind of clock?

Most would be low power clocks and would run fine for decades unhardened, especially if you are dealing with drill rod or tool steel.

To harden, you would need to carefully heat the pieces to a dull red, hold that heat steady for 20 to 30 seconds and drop them imediately into oil, or water. I would use oil, unless you know exactly what you have there.

Willie X

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Thanks, Wille. It's a no-name count wheel in a Cast Iron case, crudely made movement. The arbor for the pallet carriage is even off-center. (A little). It definitely was working for years because I bushed all but two bearings. I'm sure it has not worked with the pallets that were in it because I had to file them down almost a MM. It should work now if I can get them set correctly.
I'm not sure what steel was used but they were too hard to file until I heated them.
What do you think? Danny

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Will they file now? Willie X

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions