• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Regulator test running

Dman

Apr 3, 2020
Country
Does anyone have a method for test running regulators (the kind with the suspension spring and pendulum in the back of the case)? The 1 I am working on is too tall to hang on my slat wall ( I have shelves under it) and I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions before I pounded a huge nail in my wall .

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Well you need space for that pendulum to swing. i use a test stand clamped to a kitchen counter or a standalone wood stand designed for the purpose. A nail in the wall is OK, that might not prevent the movement from shifting into out of beat. A level surface would give you a level playing field :)

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
I use a test stand made for floor clocks, improvise set up.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Use the same stand/horse as for tall case movements. Just place a purpose made seat board, or a couple of hardwood strips, across the rails to support the movement. Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I use what Willie describes, and for pendulums that hang from the case I make an upright add on to sit behind the movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helplessfanatic12
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-