regulator clock strike

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by trschaefer, Aug 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. trschaefer

trschaefer Registered User

Feb 20, 2017
    Accountant
    Madison, WI
    Country Flag:
    I had the attached regulator clock serviced at the local clock shop. It was an eBay purchase. (Prior to having it serviced, it was not running, so I have no reference point for the "pre-servicing" state of the clock's strike mechanism.)

My question is... When I got it back from being serviced by the clock shop, it strikes the number of the hour on BOTH the hour & half-hour (Example: At 7:00 it strikes 7 times. At 7:30 it also strikes 7 times).

Is this normal for a regulator clock? My other striking clocks only string a single time at the half-hour. Otherwise it's running beautifully. Thanks, Tom

View attachment 353402

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    take it back to the shop and have them set it up right. it's only supposed to strike once on the half hour.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lifting too high on the 1/2, and dropping the rack again.

4. trschaefer

Feb 20, 2017
    Accountant
    Madison, WI
    Country Flag:
    How big a fix is this? I am comfortable taking the movement out. (I disassembled, cleaned, reassembled & oiled a banjo clock movement just last week.) Could I make the necessary adjustment? It's such a hassle to drag this enormous clock back to the shop.

5. John P

John P Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The problem with repairing it yourself is that it would void any warranty the clock shop provided.
    All reputable shops stand behind their repairs. We all have had comebacks. Sometimes, transporting the clock back home creates issues not seen in the shop, or the owner may have moved the hands during warning.
    I would first call the gentleman who repaired it and explain the striking problem. Give him a chance to correct it before going into it yourself.

6. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    By all means give the shop a chance to make it right. They may be willing to come to you or take it to their shop and return it. Unless there is more to this story than has been told, it's their problem and they should fix it at no cost and minimal inconvenience

RC

7. trschaefer

Feb 20, 2017
    Accountant
    Madison, WI
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for encouraging me to go back to the clock shop. Actually it wasn't a clock shop, but a more general appliance repair shop that ALSO repairs antique clocks. (Hence my hesitation in returning.) When I explained the problem, he knew exactly what needed to be corrected, and made the adjustment at no additional cost. Another lesson that I learned...?? When you get home with a movement that has just been serviced, do not totally reassemble the clock, until you've first verified that the clock shop has successfully fixed the issue!! Thanks.