Regulation of Hermle 340-020A

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
I replaced the dead movement in my Hamilton mantle clock with a newer Hermle movement. The previous one had a floating balance and the regulation was moving the disk on the spring - and the movement had + and - written on the back plate. This one has a different balance. Is the speed regulation done by the screw as outlined in the image?

Don't mind the bag tie stuck in the wheel. I am using it to stop the balance as I wait an hour! Is there any other method that is more elegant for stopping the balance?

Thanks! spring highlight.png

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A toothpick stuck through a hole in the plate and between the spokes of one of the upper wheels will do it, or a scrap of plastic tubing stuck into any of the winding holes will stop the hand. This is the way new clocks are shipped, so they won't tick.
If you are setting the time back, simply turn the minute hand back (anti clockwise) one revolution. This clock is designed to set backwards.
Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I believe the screw you point to is for setting the rate, as you suspect.

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Yep, it is the screw for regulating rate. In the right light angle I was able to read a + and - near the screw. Not very big and not very clear - but it is there!! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nito.55
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-