Regulating time with Seth Thomas

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ticktock, Feb 29, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Have a Seth Thomas Steeple Clock and the movement is a Time&Strike 8 day pendulum. Problem is it's running 20 minutes per day fast and there is no way to regulate the time. Everything is original including the pendulum which has no rate nut on the bottom of the bob. Don' t know what could have caused it to run this fast other than someone at one time changing out the suspension spring but even that looks original.

Any suggestions?

tick

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How thick is the suspension spring.

3. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pictures would help us understand what you have. If there is no rating nut under the bob how are you supposed to rate the clock? Thru the dial? I have always been skeptical about pendulums and how you determine originality, especially with the more ordinary ones.
    :)
    Best,

Richard T.

4. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Hello Richard,
    cannot regulate through the dial like "normal" clocks. To try and experiment with different suspension springs is an exercise in futility.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never seen a clock without some way to regulate it. I'd also suspect a replacement pendulum.

6. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Me neither! Now I have another Seth Thomas Mantle and it is the same size and design as the Steeple movement, same gears, everything BUT it does
    have a dial thru at the top where a key can be inserted to rate it. Same movement except for that!

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    So let's see pictures of clock, movement, and pendulum. We can help much more if we see those. Sounds like the wrong "original" pendulum:whistle:, but possibly something else.

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hmmm. Maybe the dial was changed, and they forgot the hole?

9. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Yep, I wondered.

10. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Dial not changed and there is no place on this movement to regulate it. Must have been with an adjustable pendulum to rate it. No sense of taking any
    pictures because it doesn't show anything for rating. Just wanted to know if Seth Thomas made a movement like this at some time.
    Thanks for the info guys.

11. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    No manufacturer made a clockworks that is totally lacking in any way to regulate it.

However, I have several Gilberts that were made with an adjustment port in the dial - but the movements in these particular clocks never had any mechanism to provide any speed adjustment. (The pendulums on these clocks do have very good rating nuts that will make the clock run very accurately, however.)

12. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most steeple clocks were made before through the dial adjustments became popular (except some modern day copies). It sounds like someone may have substituted a different pendulum for your clock. They do frequently get lost or exchanged between clocks by mistake. You should be able to get an adjustable pendulum bob from www.timesavers.com or www.merritts.com Someone might be able to suggest a part number if you could post some pictures. Also, someone may actually have an identical clock to compare.

RC

13. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In addition to lack of regulation provision, twenty minutes fast adds credence to belief pendulum is not original. Twenty minutes is a substantial amount and may equate to as much as an inch too short.

14. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    There are two Seth Thomas pendulum's that Timesavers sells. One has a small hole in the middle of it and that is the one I am using with this clock. The weight of this is 4 oz and part number is 10290. The other is 3.6 oz. part number 10219. Would the difference of .4oz make that much difference in seeing the discrepancy in the time? Perhaps I will just order an adjustable pendulum though I am trying to keep this as original as possible.
    thanks again.

15. Jay Fortner

Jay Fortner Registered User

Feb 5, 2011
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Chiefland,Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No!,your problem is lack of rating assembly. Get an adjustable bob.

16. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Jay. Case Closed!