• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Function Regulating my Morbier Clock

Ian Melorium

New User
Aug 31, 2021
Country
Hi All
I am having a bit of a nightmare regulating this Morbier Clock. it was in a bit of a state when I got so have cleaned, services and replaced a few bushes and it runs great, strikes the hour, 2 minutes past and the 1/2 hour. however it gains about 5 minutes every hour.

As you will see from the images the pendulum has over 2 inches of adjustment on it and I have taken it all the way to the bottom and it makes no difference at all. i have also extended the suspension slightly, can't go too far as the pendulum then catches the minute wheel arbor. The connection between the pendulum and the leader is a little unsubstantial and I wondered whether the pendulum was flexing at this point? I wondered about adding some weight to the pendulum? Clutching at straws really.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

IMG_1569.jpg IMG_1570.jpg IMG_1571.jpg IMG_1572.jpg IMG_1573.jpg IMG_1574.jpg IMG_1575.jpg

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
If you have run out of thread at the bottom and it is still gaining 5 minutes an hour it maybe not the original pendulum? One way to fix it is to add/replace the top part of the pendulum where it is attached to the brass plate and hooks into the leader.

Reactions: Dave T

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I agree, the pendulum is probably not original to the clock. This kind of pendulum has been used in later clocks with an anchor escapement but your clock has the earlier crown wheel and verge escapement. The original pendulum would have been a simple pendulum with a plain round brass bob on a foldable pendulum rod.
Best will be to make the rod on top of your pendulum longer as suggested by JimmyOz. Adding weight to the bottom of the pendulum bob would also slow down the clock but the pendulum is already borderline heavy for the escapement.

Uhralt

Ian Melorium

New User
Aug 31, 2021
Country
I agree, the pendulum is probably not original to the clock. This kind of pendulum has been used in later clocks with an anchor escapement but your clock has the earlier crown wheel and verge escapement. The original pendulum would have been a simple pendulum with a plain round brass bob on a foldable pendulum rod.
Best will be to make the rod on top of your pendulum longer as suggested by JimmyOz. Adding weight to the bottom of the pendulum bob would also slow down the clock but the pendulum is already borderline heavy for the escapement.

Uhralt
Thanks very much for your advice, I have received similar advice from some other sources. I did try adding weight to the pendulum and it stopped the clock from running. this more or less confirms what you are saying. i am going to try making a small adapter out of strong wire to add into the pendulum at the top and see how this works before I strip the pendulum and make a new top section or possibly a new longer leader.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Thanks very much for your advice, I have received similar advice from some other sources. I did try adding weight to the pendulum and it stopped the clock from running. this more or less confirms what you are saying. i am going to try making a small adapter out of strong wire to add into the pendulum at the top and see how this works before I strip the pendulum and make a new top section or possibly a new longer leader.
I would prefer a longer section of the pendulum over a longer leader, for two reasons. One is, the leaders of Morbier clocks usually extend just a tiny bit out of the case, so the look would not be original. The other is that there is a bit of wiggling of the pendulum at the connection with the leader which would become much more obvious when it happens further below.

Uhralt

Ian Melorium

New User
Aug 31, 2021
Country
I would prefer a longer section of the pendulum over a longer leader, for two reasons. One is, the leaders of Morbier clocks usually extend just a tiny bit out of the case, so the look would not be original. The other is that there is a bit of wiggling of the pendulum at the connection with the leader which would become much more obvious when it happens further below.

Uhralt
Hi Uhralt. thanks again, that's one of the jobs for this weekend, I will let you know how I get on.

Ian Melorium

New User
Aug 31, 2021
Country
Hi Uhralt. thanks again, that's one of the jobs for this weekend, I will let you know how I get on.
Just to finish this off.

I removed the top section of the pendulum and made a piece four inches longer, resecured this to the pendulum and the clock is running perfectly, keeping great time.

Thanks for all your help.

Ian

Reactions: Dave T and JimmyOz

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Great that you solved your problem! Could you post a picture of your pendulum how it looks now?

Uhralt

kdf

Aug 26, 2011
Beograd
Country
I had simmilar problem with this type of clock, with verge escapement. It is for some reasone sensitive
to the weight of the pendulum, and it won't run if the pendulum is too heavy. I wonder why...

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Most pendulums for these look a lot heavier than they are. If someone substituted a pendulum, it could cause issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-