Regula Rack issues

Kison

Dec 12, 2018
Country
Region
Hey all!

hope everyone is well. I am curious if anyone else experienced this issue with regula movements constantly cuckooing. The trouble for me in particular is I notice it even happens when I replace the movement altogether. As the clock is cuckooing, I will see the rack hook landing-as it should until the very end. It stops short of falling into the notch of the gathering pallet. Because of this, the cuckooing doesn’t stop and the train will run endlessly with the gathering pallet never falling to the complete depth. I try rotating the gathering pallet on the arbor, adding tension to the spring which holds the bird, adding tension to the spring for the rack hook itself, or sometimes bending the portion of the rack hook that goes into a hollowed part of the front plate to release the bird from the “on” position. Eventually this process works but it feels like I’m just clutching at straws and am just grateful when it works without knowing which adjustment worked and why. The kind of repair that leaves me uneasy as I hate clocks that come back to me
Another thing I’ve noticed is that this problem happens more when the rack hook arbor is couple to levers that activate the musical assembly.
Do any of you brilliant minded folk have suggestions or experience with this problem? It’s exclusive to regular, regardless of 30-hour or 8-day.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
These movements are very dependable in this area. The strike train will work well even when badly worn. Your problem is likely due to something blocking the MB activation lever on the back.

The timing does have to be right but it does not change on it's on and shouldn't need any adjustment, unless it has been monkeyed with ... Willie X

Reactions: Kison

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
It's the gathering pallet position on the arbor. I don't think there is much reason to remove a cuckoo gathering pallet unless it needs a bushing. There is plenty of fore and aft movement of the arbor to clean it and even polish

Reactions: Willie X and Kison

Kison

Dec 12, 2018
Country
Region
These movements are very dependable in this area. The strike train will work well even when badly worn. Your problem is likely due to something blocking the MB activation lever on the back.

The timing does have to be right but it does not change on it's on and shouldn't need any adjustment, unless it has been monkeyed with ... Willie X
Willie,
Sometimes this happens to me when I replace the movement altogether. In this instance, the only monkeying I do is remove the factory bird post, bellow levers and hammer. I suppose somewhere in this part of the process I’m doing something wrong? Maybe I should just bend the factory parts mentioned to match the original movements and this won’t happen anymore? I don’t like doing it that way because it’s a headache to get all these new parts bent to juuust the right way, but maybe it’ll be for the best!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
When the rack drops, one of its many duties is to unlatch the perch. So yes, a sticky perch latching could cause yer problem. Willie X

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
It can also happen if you are putting a different brand movement into a case than you took out, or different model number. Happened to me recently and I had to file and cut the inside of the case and mounting blocks so the rack could drop all the way down at 11 and 12

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
When you use a new movement, 1st put a chain on and pull the chain to see if it stops at the end of the rack, if so nothing wrong with the movement.
Change the bird perch to the old one, run it as before, it should be okay, if not, it is something you have not done right or the perch is from a different model? just bend the new perch to the same as the old one and put it back on, if it does not work this time it can only be the tension on the spring as nothing else has changed.
Now change the lifting levers, I doubt they are stopping anything to do with the rack so it should still work.
Another thing I’ve noticed is that this problem happens more when the rack hook arbor is couple to levers that activate the musical assembly.
This is more of an issue if not done right.
The MB lever 1 is attached to the rack lever, when you attach the MB lever 1 on the post at the back of the movement make sure the rack lever is the stop position at the bottom of the rack. then attach the MB lever 1, the flat part of the lever 1 should be just above the MB lever 2 attached to the MB. Now push the rack lever down on the side of the movement, it should have lifted the MB lever 2 out of the stop hole in the cylinder and engage the rack, pull the rack chain till it gets to the end of the rack and you should see that MB lever 1 has returned to its start position.Now pull the chain on the MB and it should play till it drops into the hole.
Now that part is done you need to bend MB lever 1 wire to catch the fan when MB lever 2 is lifted out of the hole. If you have MB lever 1 from the old movement it is easy, however this will not always be the case so maybe have a go at doing it yourself to get an idea of how to do it and how it works.
I have not repaired a Cuckoo clock for a few years, however this should work.
Just a note, I think you should get out of the habbit of changing things on movements till you understand how the movement works, bending a lever or the like will come back to haunt you or the next repairer that gets the movement.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I will say that I have seen some anomalies with cuckoo clock racks. One thing I've noticed is that some clocks exhibit an issue where somewhere in the 1-12 strike, let's say 9 o'clock, the tab will rest on a tooth of the rack and not in The Valley of the tooth, but it will work on all other 11 hours. I have seen this many times and not sure what may cause this. I just saw it on a modern 1 day Herr the other day. Nothing was bent or fiddled with. I've seen it on regulas too. I think if you go through the cycle a couple times, you may start to notice this.
The only fix is the tab on the stop lever needs a slight adjustment, the tail or the distance between the tail and upper rack. Not fun to get perfect. My guess is this goes unrecognized by most people because they just count out the number of times the hammer goes up and down. But pay attention to the rack teeth and tab and I'd say 1 out of 15 may exhibit this issue on a used movement

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I will say that I have seen some anomalies with cuckoo clock racks. One thing I've noticed is that some clocks exhibit an issue where somewhere in the 1-12 strike, let's say 9 o'clock, the tab will rest on a tooth of the rack and not in The Valley of the tooth, but it will work on all other 11 hours. I have seen this many times and not sure what may cause this. I just saw it on a modern 1 day Herr the other day. Nothing was bent or fiddled with. I've seen it on regulas too. I think if you go through the cycle a couple times, you may start to notice this.
Are you talking about new movements or old movements in for repair?

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Old. You ge seen it a million Times and nothing looks out of place. The only way is to tweak the tab that rides in the teeth, the distance between the top of the rack and tail or the bend in the tail itself. It's maddening because it will only do it on a certain one or two hours most of the time.
The issue the op is having is either a too tight perch in the clamps, disturbing the gathering pallet or bending a tab or rack.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Old. You ge seen it a million Times and nothing looks out of place. The only way is to tweak the tab that rides in the teeth, the distance between the top of the rack and tail or the bend in the tail itself. It's maddening because it will only do it on a certain one or two hours most of the time.
The issue the op is having is either a too tight perch in the clamps, disturbing the gathering pallet or bending a tab or rack.
By altering the tab to let the rack fall/rise a little it affects every entry and exit of the pin, better to ask why is it doing this as when it was made it did not!.
One reason is maybe someone bent the tab or the pin or altered the cam or bent the rack? If your satisfied none of these things were done what else could it be? I would look at the arbor holding the cam on, does it need a bush (likely) or the shaft is bent or the cam is at an angle, also the rack, is there play in that or whatever.Just bending things to get it to work may add further issues down the line, understanding why is what will stand you in good stead when you get another with the same issue.

Reactions: roughbarked

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
I've had luck resetting the gear between the minute arebor, and the hour pipe/snail. Adjust it so the rack falls in the valley of the snail, when the cannon pinion is set to the top of the hour.

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
I've never been involved with a new Regula movement, but with all of the posts I've read on these forums about new movements not working correctly, it seems prudent to always check a new movement straight out of the box on a test stand before any modifications.
-Jeff

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
By altering the tab to let the rack fall/rise a little it affects every entry and exit of the pin, better to ask why is it doing this as when it was made it did not!.
One reason is maybe someone bent the tab or the pin or altered the cam or bent the rack? If your satisfied none of these things were done what else could it be? I would look at the arbor holding the cam on, does it need a bush (likely) or the shaft is bent or the cam is at an angle, also the rack, is there play in that or whatever.Just bending things to get it to work may add further issues down the line, understanding why is what will stand you in good stead when you get another with the same issue.
I would agree if it was many or most of the way it falls in the teeth, but it's hard to believe that if it's only one tooth that it's a bushing in the cam arbor hole. This particular movement this week was resolved by slightly pushing the lower position of the rack inward. (The part with the tail that drops on the snail) Too much of the tail was contacting the snail when it dropped. I agree that it wasn't like this when new. My guess is things get bent out of place when the movement stops working and people start pulling on the wrong side of the weights etx to try and give the movement some oomph. It forces the whole locked train backward.

i must also add that I am speaking of where the tab fall in the rack after warning. Not as it's running. There is no or very little movement of the cam whe the rack drops off, it's a relationship between the two levers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlfuller
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre