Regula movement, cracked gear

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by josephus14, Jun 24, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. josephus14

josephus14 Registered User

Jun 16, 2012
    I posted earlier about my Regula 701 cuckoo clock movement. I could not seem to get the time train to run. After a close examination I found the cracked gear in the picture. It appears to be made of some sort of plastic or nylon. Is there any place to find or purchase gears such as this or am I simply out of luck? 100_1067.JPG

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    This part is not generally available but you might want to check with the folks a BFI (Black Forrest Imports).

Willie X

3. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe it might be fixable. Mount it in a vise, ready to squeeze the crack shut. Fill the crack with medium super-glue. Immediately squeeze the crack shut as tight as you can without deforming the gear. Let it sit for an hour. Can't hurt. Might work.

Bradford Needham likes this.
  4. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am not sure if the tooth form is screwed up or not. I have had some success with doing what Bang suggested but I drilled a couple of holes on either side of the break and used wire to keep it tight.

5. josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
    Thanks for the input guys. I believe I'm going to try that. As near as I can tell the teeth are good.

6. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    I've seen David's suggestion on brass gears that have cracked. A little primitive if you base it on today's standards. But it should work well on this type of repair on a plastic gear, with a little glue. There are guys in here that have hundreds of these lying around. maybe post a need in parts needed ??

H/C

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not sure about the 701 series, but Timesavers sells the plastic wheel for the time train of the 25 series. It looks the same, and if the size and tooth count are correct it would work in yours too. Part # 20921 (or 20920 maybe).

8. josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
    Hey that does look close. Gonna go count some teeth!

9. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I have repaired and replaced quite a few of these cracked gears. If you attempt a repair be sure to carefully knock the plastic wheel off the shaft first. It will come off easily, mark it's correct position first using a three corner file. The main reason that it split is the large and constant amount of outward pressure exerted when the shaft was pressed into the plastic gear. I have found that, with the gear removed, the gear is easy to compress and superglue, wire and superglue, as already advised. But, after the glue has set for about 24 hours, lightly broach the hole in the gear until you get a snug interference fit and then superglue it on the shaft. Doing it this way will relieve the stress on the gear and you glue job will likely last a long time.

Hope this helps, Willie X

Bradford Needham likes this.
  10. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pay attention to what Willie said.

11. josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
    Thanks for all of the useful input. The #20921 from Timesavers turned out to be exactly what I needed. I have her back together and it is working great.

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    :thumb: Good to know for future inquiries too!