Regula Cuckoo Clock

josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
I have a Regula cuckoo clock that has a music box that runs after the chime. Since I got it running it has had an odd creaking sound as the music played. After taking it apart I noticed that, I guess you could call it a sound board, has a crack in it. Is there any fixing this? I hesitate to solder with heat, since it might warp. Could I use JB weld or something on either side of the crack? Or do I just learn to enjoy the slightly creepy noises? Thanks for your input.

Attachments

josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
Relatively certain. When I remove the music box from the clock and turn the drum, I can still hear the odd noises. There are no other signs of damage. The crack is running down both sides of the screw hole. I think someone got over zealous when tightening the screw. I looked at it under an eye loop and it really is a small crack not a mark or scratch. The first time I heard the noise, it was pretty creepy. It sounds a little like high pitched voice.

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Josehp what sort of tools do you have? Just trying to figure out how best to approach this in order to tighten it up.

josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
Uh. Well basic hand tools. I don't have a lot of specialty clock tools. But if Home Depot has it, I can get it. :) - Joe

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Do you have any sort of small C clamp or similar so that you could clamp it end for end to verify that closing the gap would do it?
Even if you could clamp it and then turn by hand.

josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
Excellent suggestion. I do not have one, but I will get one this week and try that. If that does indeed help, could it be soldered?

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Joe others with more experience that I would have with these chime blocks may give other advice. However due to size and mass of the block I don't think that it would be a good idea to try and heat it up enough to get solder to flow... assuming you could even get it to flow into the crack. I would think that just verifying that tightening it up would eliminate the problem would be a good start. Having said that I haven't come up with a good repair for a peson with limited tools and equipment.. unless of course you can just leave the clamp on ;)

josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
Ha. Well I am from the southern United States. In the world of "git 'er done". I may just duct tape the c clamp to the side of the case...........

depatty

Feb 2, 2011
Weaver, Alabama, US
Country
Region
Looks like the "sound board" is made out of cast iron which if so will not solder anyway. My first thought is to flow thin super glue into the crack and clamp it till set. I've used it on cracked pottery and ceramic pieces and once set the "ring" is back so it might work on this piece too. I suspect that if a clamp or some other device is left on it that the sound will be dampened.

Good luck!
Dave

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
I don't think it is the crack. It is more likely that the
music box is missing the dampening.
If it is missing, it will make a sound like you describe.
Tinker Dwight

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Clamping it could completely break it off, too. Caution is advised. I'm thinking that Tinker may be on the right track.

josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
I don't think it is the crack. It is more likely that the
music box is missing the dampening.
If it is missing, it will make a sound like you describe.
Tinker Dwight
I am beginning to second guess my thoughts about the crack. Help me here, when you say it is missing the dampening--what does that consist of? Is there a part in the music box or the case that is missing? Never worked with a music box, so I'm new to this. Joe

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Dampers are under the chime teeth, and maybe just 1/2 of them. They'll be white or at least not metallic looking.

josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
Okay. I have gotten on the internet and learned enough about dampers to be completely depressed. My only hope appears to be purchasing a chicken. Is it just me or is brain surgery less complicated? I'm adding a smiley face, but it isn't exactly what I feel......................:)

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
You might be expecting too much from this music movement. It ain't a Stradivarius, just a cheaply made movement.

josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
You might be expecting too much from this music movement. It ain't a Stradivarius, just a cheaply made movement.
Well put. It was a $20 yard sale clock with two broken gears and missing parts. I have it running now which was quite an accomplishment for a beginner like myself. I will call the creaking character and put it behind me. Thanks to everyone for the input. I have learned a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nito.55
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-