• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Regula cuckoo clock - Hour Hand very intermittent

dashley

Donor
Apr 30, 2015
Tennesse
Country
Hi,

I have a 1950's German Cuckoo clock i'm restoring. This is my first Cuckoo. I've refirbished the movement. It basically just needed a really good cleaning.
I place it in a test stand and set the beat and everthing seemed fine I thought until after some time went by (no pun intended).
I noticed the chime side wasnt firing off. It worked perfectly when manually tested. I've diassemebed it checked everyting again and again.
Same problem. The hour hand isn't cooperating. Sometimes it moves randomly and stops and sometimes it makes a complete rotation
and at times dosen't move at all. I've even noticed some slippage as it tries to rotate. What I observe is there may be some suttle friction from the
minute hand shaft rotation moving the hour tube.

I'm not very familure with Rack Strikes. This is my second one with years in between. I've read over, several times, the artical written by Bangster.

A lingering question I have is: "What actually drives the hour hand."
I don't see a mechanical drive or wheel that drives the hour wheel.

I do see the lifting cam rotating when I manually turn the minute hand and it activates the rack hook and so forth.

I don't see any mechanical drive for the hour hand shaft tube.
I've also included a pic of the minute hand wheel-shaft

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hours.jpg

image0.jpeg

Jeff T

Feb 10, 2018
Country
the hour hand is fiction fit its not just lose on the shaft?

dashley

Donor
Apr 30, 2015
Tennesse
Country
Ahh I see says the blind man. I didn't have the nut or bushing on. I'l try it with them all installed. Will let you know.
Thank you

dashley

Donor
Apr 30, 2015
Tennesse
Country
Where is the snail and hour tube?
Truth be told It was sitting on my work bench :)

Below is a photo. I have the movement unassembeled. I noticed some wear on the chime winding ratchett bellows drive posts and figured I'll replace that while it's disassembled.

The rack tail was in a weird position due to it's partial assemblry. I just wanted to include a picture. So the "hour tube" and "snail" are one unit? The squared brass inner piece is the "minute hand" and threaded arbor is the drive?

snail.jpeg

Below: Arbor aka Main Wheel then Minute hand and Snail/Hour Tube

IMG_8276.jpg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Truth be told It was sitting on my work bench :)

Below is a photo. I have the movement unassembeled. I noticed some wear on the chime winding ratchett bellows drive posts and figured I'll replace that while it's disassembled.

The rack tail was in a weird position due to it's partial assemblry. I just wanted to include a picture. So the "hour tube" and "snail" are one unit? The squared brass inner piece is the "minute hand" and threaded arbor is the drive?

View attachment 736366

Below: Arbor aka Main Wheel then Minute hand and Snail/Hour Tube

View attachment 736367
OK you have saved the lettuces from snail ravages and ascertained where the parts go, what was the problem again?
The tension is on the main shaft and if the clock turns the minute hand then this tension is adequate and therefore doesn't need adjustment.

dashley

Donor
Apr 30, 2015
Tennesse
Country
OK you have saved the lettuces from snail ravages and ascertained where the parts go, what was the problem again?
The tension is on the main shaft and if the clock turns the minute hand then this tension is adequate and therefore doesn't need adjustment.
The initial problem was the minute/hour hand was slipping/not turning etc... The reason was I didn't put the bushing and nut on. I'm learning ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent