• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Regula 72...Should I Replace or Can I Repair?

MaryGladys

New User
Sep 22, 2021
Country
Hi, I have a cuckoo clock with a Regula 72 movement in it. It will work great so long as I keep it wound up but if I forget and the clock winds down and I have to move the hands to the proper time, I have problems.

The minute hand will get tight and then I hear/feel a small pop. After that, the clock works fine EXCEPT the music won't work. It seems that the pop messes with the music movement.

So, I have tried just moving the minute hand to just before it pops and let it be....started the cuckoo clock and once the minute hand moves on its own, it will pop and again, no music.

On this forum, I have read the Regula 72 is fussy when it comes to the music movement....

I have taken the clock to the clock shop 5 times to be repaired (each time costing $75 to $300) to fix it. It's ridiculous! I could buy a new clock at this point!

So, my question is, is the Regula 72 I have in my clock just a lemon and should be replaced or is it just a bad design and I am stuck with a clock that won't play music?

I figured I would ask for advice before sending it to a new clock shop!

Shoot, if I even knew how to repair it, I would be fine with that....but not having the problem would even be better!

Regards,

Patty

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Hello Patty,
Welcome to the message board.
As with a lot of trades, all clock repair people are capable and honest.
Five trips to the clock repair shop without good results and yet being charged is three times more than I would tolerate.
I am not sure what your skill level is but probably you will not be able to solve the problem.
There are lots of things going on in cuckoo clock houses and working properly is a sequence of many things. Knowing that sequence and being able to properly trouble shoot is the key.
If the clock is dear to you, my suggestion would be to find a capable and qualified clock repair person and demand a warranty at the onset.
Best of luck with your clock.
Dick

MaryGladys

New User
Sep 22, 2021
Country
Dick, I appreciate what you are saying. I am a very mechanical person. I have gone to 2 clock repair person. The one in Florida was awesome...Charged me $75...I had to go 3 times for the same reason. Moved to Texas...took it to one person there and was charged $300 and have the same problem again, plus they said it was badly broken. They took off some links in the chain and didn't explain anything other than that. Really infuriated me...but the woman said the clock repairer wasn't in so....there you go!. So, there is one other clock repair person possibly in the area and I thought to check here before schlepping it to there. I can buy a new movement and replace it. That, I can do. I can take out the bad one and put the new one in.

I am not so trusting after my experience. So, that's why I want someone who possibly knows this movement...if they can tell me if it's the Pacer of movements...or did I just get a lemon?

First 4 pictures show the model number....

What snaps is the round disk to the right. Based on reading, it has some sort of ratchet system behind it that sets things in motion. Well, that gets locked up and then snaps. I can't replicate it now because whatever snapped has already done it....

Thank you soooo much.

Patty

20210910_173453.jpg 20210910_173458.jpg 20210910_173508.jpg 20210910_204051.jpg 20210910_204107.jpg 20210922_144724.jpg 20210922_144746.jpg 20210922_150951.jpg 20210922_150956.jpg 20210922_151056.jpg

MaryGladys

New User
Sep 22, 2021
Country
Dave, thank you!!!! I read a post somewhere in here that the Regula 72 were touchy, especially regarding the music...and someone also posted a few years ago they were facing the SAME problem....UGH! Is it possible to swap out the 72 with a 34? Outside the music box, it has dancers on top, a couple kissing on one side and a band playing on the other. A total of 3 things happen when the music plays.

I also ready that these movements are supposed to have 1700 weights...Mine came with 1500. Could that also have lead to the music movement refusing to budge?

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Just looking at the movement I see that the fan has been set up with no resistance which is telling me that the weights maybe to light to drive the music, try adding 250 grams (1750 weights maybe what is needed) to the music weight (loop a bit of wire through the hook eyelet to attach the 250grams extra). The hands on cuckoo clocks can be turned backward, however they should not be needed too if the hands are setup right. The setup for the music is a bit of trial and error, however any competent clock repairer should be able to do it.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I'm keeping a close eye on this thread to learn. So, I'm no authority. I do know a 34 has only 2 weights, so doubt you could interchange. I'm sure others here will be along to answer that question, and maybe give you some alternatives to consider.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
There is nothing wrong with the movement you have, it just needs setup correctly. Changing the movement for a different one will lead to having to change all the animation setup as well as the music box.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
To repair it you will have to build a stand so you can properly observe what's going on with your movement.

A "pop" usually indicates something that has gone point to point and when forced enough will pop free in one direction or the other. Or something is jamed and then breaks free, something like that. And it happens at, or in connection with, the cam on the handshaft. That's not that many things and will probably be rather obvious when actually viewed.

Observing the movement in the case will probably be a waist of your time.

My 2, Willie X

Reactions: Jeff T

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Is that the one with the wire linkage between the plates? They are a PITA to work on.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Is that the one with the wire linkage between the plates? They are a PITA to work on.
I don't think so, the music has its own lever on the front (from memory) and the music starts when the cuckoo lever finds the end of the rack.
These are fiddly to set up and beyond a novice, the black lever with the hook will lift at the same time as the cuckoo lever to let the cam/pin move into warning and when the cuckoo lever drops at the end of cuckooing it releases the music and the hook drops and catches the pin when it rotates back to it and stops the music.

Reactions: shutterbug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavidcham
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-