Regula 34 Weights Help.

Ed2dead

Mar 27, 2021
Country
I grew up on a farm in Kentucky. My grandmother had a cuckoo clock in the old farm house we lived in. When she passed another family member took the clock. I have been looking for one like it ever since. Well, I finally found one! I just received it last week and I have started the restoration process. This is the first cuckoo clock I have ever worked on however I have over 30 years of working on sewing machines of all kinds so I am used to working on small precision machinery. I have several old mantle clocks I have worked on. But just like the many I have trained to repair sewing machines over the years, I myself need a litte info for this project. First off it came without a pendulum or weights. Before I found this website I contacted clockworks.com and sent them pictures of the clockworks. It is a Regula 34 movement with no additional numbers or letters after the 34. Colckworks.com told me I need 1500 gram weights. So I orderd a set ($30.00 each). Those things are huge. I then found you guys, and someone on here said that a Regula 34 needed 1260 gram weghts. So can I use the 1500's? Should I try to drill them out to remove some weight? Or should I just order another set that is 1260? Next question. I noticed that there was a small eye screw in the bottom of the clock. I had never seen this on a cuckoo clock before. After looking it over a little further there is a hole drilled in the bottom of the clock just below the eyelet for the warning lever there appears to be a string tied to it and about a quarter of an inch of the string is sticking out of the hole on the bottom. I don't have a clue why this is like this. The only reason I know the name warning lever is because I looked up a parts diagram for this clockwork. I don't even know what the warning lever is for. I am going to have to work on the bellows for sure. They make sound but they seem to drop really slow. It also didn't come with the back cover and gong coil which the seller never informed me of. So I will be on the hunt for one of those as well. I am really excited about this project, and finding the NAWCC. I look hope one of you can help me. Thanks in advance. s-l1600.jpg

Ed2dead

Mar 27, 2021
Country
I grew up on a farm in Kentucky. My grandmother had a cuckoo clock in the old farm house we lived in. When she passed another family member took the clock. I have been looking for one like it ever since. Well, I finally found one! I just received it last week and I have started the restoration process. This is the first cuckoo clock I have ever worked on however I have over 30 years of working on sewing machines of all kinds so I am used to working on small precision machinery. I have several old mantle clocks I have worked on. But just like the many I have trained to repair sewing machines over the years, I myself need a litte info for this project. First off it came without a pendulum or weights. Before I found this website I contacted clockworks.com and sent them pictures of the clockworks. It is a Regula 34 movement with no additional numbers or letters after the 34. Colckworks.com told me I need 1500 gram weights. So I orderd a set ($30.00 each). Those things are huge. I then found you guys, and someone on here said that a Regula 34 needed 1260 gram weghts. So can I use the 1500's? Should I try to drill them out to remove some weight? Or should I just order another set that is 1260? Next question. I noticed that there was a small eye screw in the bottom of the clock. I had never seen this on a cuckoo clock before. After looking it over a little further there is a hole drilled in the bottom of the clock just below the eyelet for the warning lever there appears to be a string tied to it and about a quarter of an inch of the string is sticking out of the hole on the bottom. I don't have a clue why this is like this. The only reason I know the name warning lever is because I looked up a parts diagram for this clockwork. I don't even know what the warning lever is for. I am going to have to work on the bellows for sure. They make sound but they seem to drop really slow. It also didn't come with the back cover and gong coil which the seller never informed me of. So I will be on the hunt for one of those as well. I am really excited about this project, and finding the NAWCC. I look hope one of you can help me. Thanks in advance. View attachment 646366
I really should have proof read this message before I posted. : )

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Ed,

1500gm, that's the recommended weight these days but most will do just fine with a 1260gm, unless you have a ceiling fan, lots of animation, air drafts from vents or doors, oversize pendulum, etc. 1260gm was the standard for many years.

I'm not sure what you have there when speaking of the "eye screw" and "eyelet" .

You may see a hole in the bottom of the case that lines up with that string. If so, said string probably extended through the hole. The string would probably have extended to the bottom of the case trim. It probably had a plastic bead at the end. Pulling said string would repeat the present hour, or sometimes the next hour.

Willie X

Ed2dead

Mar 27, 2021
Country
Ed,

1500gm, that's the recommended weight these days but most will do just fine with a 1260gm, unless you have a ceiling fan, lots of animation, air drafts from vents or doors, oversize pendulum, etc. 1260gm was the standard for many years.

I'm not sure what you have there when speaking of the "eye screw" and "eyelet" .

You may see a hole in the bottom of the case that lines up with that string. If so, said string probably extended through the hole. The string would probably have extended to the bottom of the case trim. It probably had a plastic bead at the end. Pulling said string would repeat the present hour, or sometimes the next hour.

Willie X

Ed2dead

Mar 27, 2021
Country
Thanks Willie, I will take a picture of the string and eyelet. It does come out of the bottom of the case.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That appears to be screwed directly into the case? Where does the string go? Willie X

Ed2dead

Mar 27, 2021
Country
It is tied to the warning lever. At least I assume that it what it is called. As I said earlier, I am just learning the names of the parts.
I have attached a stock picture of the part. The string it tied to the eyelet on the end of the lever.
20210330_063503.jpg 20210330_063503.jpg

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Might be someone's attempt to correct the hour strike if the hands are not on the correct time.
I have one here that also has those. One on the strike side and one for the music.
large cuckoo strings.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed2dead

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
When you first mentioned the string, I was expecting to see a count wheel movement like Dave's. But yours is rack and snail, so the string won't do much but repeat the strike, as Willie said above. It makes me wonder if the seller replaced the original movement with a more modern one? Can you see holes or other evidence of that in the case where the movement mounts? You should familiarize yourself with Timesavers and other parts suppliers. That' where you can pick up a pendulum and/or other parts you need. You can also get a new gong coil and new bellows tops there. Get the kind for 8 day cuckoo's. The tops are heavier and will close better for you.
I kinda' get the feeling that you bought a project clock that someone else gave up on :)

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
As other posters have said it could be to repeat the hour strike.

It may also have been someone's attempt to activate the night shut off as I can't see a lever for this on the movement.
By attaching a string to the loop end of the warning lever then out the bottom of the case and a small spring on the end of the string that is shy of the eyelet, it would then hook into the eyelet therefore lifting the lever into warning and shutting off the cuckoo till it is released from the eyelet the next morning. Being a rack it would reset itself on the next hour.
Willy another one of my theories ;)

Ed2dead

Mar 27, 2021
Country
Thanks all of you for your replies. Also thanks for the Timesavers info. I am going to be starting the disassembly process tomorrow. Also measuring for the replacement bellows, placing an order for them and the pendulum. You guys are great. You don't know how much I appreciate it.

Ed2dead

Mar 27, 2021
Country
Good morning gents, I dissasembled yesterday and ordered my parts. Timesavers definitely has better prices than any of the other websites that I have seen. The string was tied to the warning lever. The Regula 34 looks to be in very good shape. Someone had mentioned that it may have been changed out, and I beleive that to be the case. I do have to figure out why when the snail is set to 12:00 and I manually turn the rack works perfectly and moves exactly 12 spaces until it locks. However the gong and cuckoo levers still go to 14 sets. Not sure about that. Hopefully something minor.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Can you see it skipping any teeth as the rack is gathered? Or rather slipping off without raising the rack? If not, then your rack tail must have slipped, and needs to be opened up two teeth.

Ed2dead

Mar 27, 2021
Country
So, the pin was bent on the warning wheel. I straightened it back out and now I get 12 gongs and cuckoo's! I didn't think that would have anything to do with it but it is now working.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member