Regula 25

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region
Im interested in knowing when reassembling a Regular 25 movement does the 2nd wheel strike wheel which has the double lobes on it. I need to know which position it should be when vertical or horizontal when putting the movement back together.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
At normal stop, the cam you mention should be in the 'do nothing' position. And (on the front) the little lifting pin should be dead center of the gullet in the heart shaped gathering pallet. It should not start up the ramp on warning.

Also, the hammer and bellow lifting tails should look like this. If not, the set screw on the lifting wheel will allow adjustment on the main-wheel shaft. If the movement is post 1976 the lifting wheel is pressed on and adjustment can only be done by remeshing the main-wheel. Willie X

IMG_20200411_121836.jpg

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
If I remember correctly, Steven Conover's book on cuckoos suggests reassembling the strike train with one of the lobes at 11:30 as seen from the back (assuming the top of the movement is noon) and the warning pin at 12 o'clock as a place to start.
-Jeff

Reactions: TimeafterTime

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
Those lobes should be level with the plates as in 3 oclock and 9 oclock. Pin should be centered in gathering pallet and stop wheel pin touching lever. (Cuckoo repair manual)

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
I did not remember correctly.
It is William J Bilger's book that suggests the 11:30/5:30 lobe position and pin at 12:00 for reassembling the plates. This is assuming a complete teardown when there is not yet a GP or stop lever installed for reference.
-Jeff

Last edited:

dperry428

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2011
Genoa, Illinois
dperry428.wordpress.com
Country
Region
At normal stop, the cam you mention should be in the 'do nothing' position. And (on the front) the little lifting pin should be dead center of the gullet in the heart shaped gathering pallet. It should not start up the ramp on warning.

Also, the hammer and bellow lifting tails should look like this. If not, the set screw on the lifting wheel will allow adjustment on the main-wheel shaft. If the movement is post 1976 the lifting wheel is pressed on and adjustment can only be done by remeshing the main-wheel. Willie X

View attachment 712018
With the new lift wheels, I broach the brass hole to an easy slip fit, drill and tap a hole in the side of the brass collar and put a set screw in it; i.e. make it like the old ones. Helps out the future repairman.

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region

View attachment 712018
I'm trying to figure out the do nothing position for reassembling the movement. As I read below, there's some discrepancies in where to locate the lobes.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The "do nothing" position is the position where the cam is not doing anything. :rolleyes: Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Just checked a few including one new one.

Looking at the back of the movement, the flat part of the 'birdie perch push out cam' is at about 9:45, with the high side to the left. The cam has two purposes: first to push the birdie out and then imediately force the latch down to lock it. (here is a pin on the latch that is knocked down by this two lobe cam to fully latch the birdie in the out position.

There is an internal lever on the front plate that is struck downward when the rack drops at the last cuckoo call. That unlatches the perch latch and allows the birdie to snap back in but that won't happen if the cam has gone one tooth to far clockwise.

IMO, this is one of the most complicated Mickey Mouse mechanisms in clockdom but fortunately it gives very little trouble!

Willie X

Reactions: DennyI

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
1:30 and 7:30 o'clock looking through the front plate.
On a Herr the lift cam goes directly below the line at 3 o clock looking at the back.

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
It's near impossible to get a good photo - here's the best I could get highlighting the cam at the stopped position.
IMG_3657.jpg

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region
I got conflicting responses as you can read above. I've gotten the lobes should be at 9:00/3:00 and 11:30/5/5:30.
Can anyone verify these positions?

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Me thinks that if you put it back together wrong and it does not work, it can be a valuable learning experience.
You only have to take it apart and try again till you get it right.
If you learn that way, you are likely not to forget.
It will probably be a good reminder to take before photos, and to pay attention.
Dick

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
What Willy said is right.
I just finished rebuilding a regula 34. I set the lobes at 9 and 3. After installing the movement back into the case, I noticed the bird door start to open when the warning runs. This caused a stall at times. Back out with the movement to move the position of the lobes to 9:45. This allowed some free run time before pushing open the bird door. Learned something new.

johnp

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region
With the new lift wheels, I broach the brass hole to an easy slip fit, drill and tap a hole in the side of the brass collar and put a set screw in it; i.e. make it like the old ones. Helps out the future repairman.
I guess manufacturer's look anywhere to cut a penny. That's great you do that.

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region
What Willy said is right.
I just finished rebuilding a regula 34. I set the lobes at 9 and 3. After installing the movement back into the case, I noticed the bird door start to open when the warning runs. This caused a stall at times. Back out with the movement to move the position of the lobes to 9:45. This allowed some free run time before pushing open the bird door. Learned something new.

johnp
That's exactly where i'm at. The door is opening to early.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
1:30 and 7:30 looking through the front plate. A Herr is at 3 o'clock looking at the back plate. I've done hundreds of cuckoo clocks

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I don't take the starwheel off if the pivot hole isn't worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiceconi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-