Regula 25 Movement

Larry Orr

NAWCC Member
Nov 4, 2019
Crestview FL
Country
Region
I have been working on a cuckoo clock with a regula 25-B movement. The clock has a cuckoo, time and music box installed on the side, so 3ea 320gram weights. I inspected the original movement and found several gear teeth missing so I purchased a new regula 25-L movement. I cleaned and lubricated it and had it working flawlessly on my test stand. I installed it and have tried several times to get it to work without any luck. I've measured the dimension of the movement thinking it was getting hung up internally, so I removed some bracing material and the front dial to see if I could determine why it wouldn't work. No luck. I've had this movement in and out of the clock 6-7 times always going back to the test stand. I have repaired several other cuckoo clocks and haven't experienced anything like this before. I can include pictures if anyone thinks that would help. Shutterbug if you read this post you usually come up with something I've missed. I would appreciate any help...
Thanks,
Larry

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Does it run at all in the case? Or does it stall after a given amount of time? Are the dimensions of the movements the same?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Pow,

New parts are often different from the old parts. They usually aren't even made to be replacement parts. They are the parts being used in current production clocks. The older the original movement the less likely a new part will work without mods.

Regula often made changes for the big cuckoo makers like A. Schneider and Schuenbecker (sp) Ha.

AFAIK Schuenbecker (sp) was the only one with a side mounted MB governor.

Willie X

Last edited:
Reactions: POWERSTROKE

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I rebuild them. I’m so used to doing them now, most of them don’t bother me. Most of them.
Sometimes I will build up a clock case (Cuckoo) from spare parts I have lying around.
Here is one I did about 2 weeks ago. The case was lying around and I finally ran into an old Hubert Herr that fit in pretty well. Worst part was having to adjust the height of the perch as I didn’t have the old one. Has 8 bushings and runs like an absolute champ:
I’m saying all this, which I forgot to initially write. It’s not straightforward if you are putting a different dimension of a movement in a case. You can run into many problems. Where you need to make the movement blocks a different size,
Certain perches interfere with certain movement blocks, needing to bend perches correctly, Case chain holes not lining up, etc. I’m wondering if you could just get the wheel from another Movement with the broken teeth. You’ll save yourself a lot of trouble. Not to mention bellows, bellows
Wires etc having to be manipulated.

Last edited:
Reactions: DennyI

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
See? You didn't even need me, Larry :D

Forum statistics