Regula 25 Cuckoo movement mwon't stop cuckooing?

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Hi, I took the movement out of a cuckoo clock to thread the upper chain in it. I put the movement back in and now it will not stop cuckooing. I don't know what I did to cause it, I was being very careful not to bend or put pressure on anything. Can you tell me which pieces cause the cuckoo to stop and where they are in the Regula 25 assy. drawing I downloaded from here. If you could make it an "explanation for dummies" answer.
Thanks again guys, your help has been invalueable. Terry

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
[video=youtube;DCzUUk62TUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DCzUUk62TUM#t=0s[/video] Hello Terry,

With the conditions you explained, it is likely the rack is stuck in the up position and is not completing its cycle. The rack is on the front of the movement and looks like a curved saw blade. When the cuckoo movement strikes (cuckoos), a lever on the rack falls against the snail. The snail is kind of a circular piece with steps, mounted on the hour tube. It looks like a snail. The steps on the snail determine how many times the clock will strike (cuckoo). If the rack lever falls onto a step that is high, the rack will only fall a short distance. When the strike train is released, the gathering pallet (a small cam with a pin) will start to turn. When it turns, the pin will catch a tooth in the rack and lift it up one notch with each turn. When the rack reaches the top, another lever (looks like a detent) will fall down and lock the strike train.

If the rack is pushed too far back or is stuck on something, the movement does not know how many times to strike. It could be the detent that catches the rack with each revolution of the gathering pallet is stuck. I could not find a video of a cuckoo movement, but the one I posted should give you an idea of how it works.

Your best bet is to remove the movement again and set it on a test stand and run it without the bird, whistles, etc. Once you see a rack and snail work, it will be self explanatory.

Best of luck,

Dick

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
The cuckoo train only stops when the rack hook falls beneath the rack. Either the rack hook is stuck and won't drop, or the gathering pallet isn't lifting the final tooth high enough to allow the hook to fall. A rack stuck in the up position wouldn't allow the train to keep running...unless the rack hook were stuck too.

See Rack Strike Elements.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You can pull the dial off and verify if the rack is not being "gathered" by the gathering pin. The gathering pallet might have come loose. If that's not it, check the right side (as you look at the front) and see if the lock is malfunctioning. I'm sure this sounds convoluted, but if you can explain what you see looking at those two places we can probably help :)

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Terry,

I am sorry to add to the confusion. I guess I had my ups and downs reversed. And---I called the hook a detent. It is a detent, but is called the hook.

From the video above and the good advice given by the others, you should be able to determine what should be happening and why the train runs on.

The strike train is stopped at the end of the cycle by a tab on the hook. The tab collides with a pin in the third wheel of the train. Something is preventing that tab from contacting the pin.

D

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
My bet is a broken warning pin.
Most cuckoo's, one can remove the dial and watch what is
happening. There are usually three nails holding it on
and a thin blade can be slid under the dial near the nails
to remove it.
You can then see if something is obstructing the rack hook
or, as I suspect the broken warning pin.
Tinker Dwight

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Here's a pic of the locking mechanism, and the pin that Tinker is talking about. It's attached to the wheel, IMG_2105.jpg on the front side of it (upper right in pic). Also, here's the gathering pallet - the oval shaped thing with a pin by the rack. The other lever has to fall into it like this shows too. Then the pin encounters that same lever on the inside to stop the train. IMG_2106.jpg

Last edited:

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
OK guys, here is what is happening. when the rack gets to it's last tooth, the # 20 in the diagram you gave me in a previous post, called the strike stop arm (in my cuckoo book) does not fall down all the way under the rack. As I pull the chain real slow when it starts to fall if I take my pick and push it down it will go all the way down and I hear a click when I start to push it down. It goes through the cycle OK, but when it gets to the last tooth it just keeps running and the arm does not fall all the way down, sometrhing is stopping it from falling all the way down. The click I hear is the problem, do you know what that is? I haven't taken the movement out yet because it does not fit in the lousy test stand I made. Can you guys suggest where I can get a good quality test stand?
I will take the movement out now and wait to hear what you think the click sound means. Thanks, Terry

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
OK I just saw what the click is, it is the Cuckoo arm retracting back when I push the #20 strike stop arm down.

Chris D

NAWCC Member
Sep 8, 2009
Coplay, PA
Country
Region
There is a spring that keeps pressure on the top of the strike stop arm... is that still in place? Only other thing I can think of is the gathering pallet off a little and not letting the arm fall down at the right time.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Here's the spring that Chris mentioned. IMG_2107.jpg

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
This article may help to explain how the rack strike works.

Rack Strike Elements.

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Sorry guys, I was so happy when I found the problem I just wanted to put the clock back together and get it back on the wall and forgot to come back here to thank all of you. It was the bird arm that was causing the problem. the spring that retracts it got knocked off the plate it hooks on to and was behind the strike stop arm where I could not see it. I had to open up the fingers that hold the arm in place and hook it back on, then I turned the arm around in a circle 3 times to get a little more tension on the spring then it originally had so the arm would retract with a little more force. I hope that won't cause a problem. That spring is a real SOB to get put on right, it really put my very limited patience to a test. I found out by fixing this and listening to all the reasons you gave me what was wrong with another Cuckoo clock with a similar problem. I checked the Cuckoo door and found that the wire that pulls the door shut was bindig up where the wire connects to the bird. I had the wire upside down so that it was going through the ring on the door in the wrong direction. It had to go through the ring on the door feeding it from under the ring through the ring, and I had pushed it through from above and bent the loop with the open end on the bottom if that makes sense to you. The way I had it, it would start to close but the ring around the hole in the bird mount would try to twist because it was upside down and jam 3/4 closed. So you guys killed two birds with one stone, or post I guess I should say.
Thanks again for all the help. I really feel that I am learning more by asking questions here than by reading and tinkering by far, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. I am really looking forward to the time when I can come on here and help someone else like you guys are helping me. Thank you!!!!!

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Good job, TF. Cuckoos can be very difficult to work on, and will definitely teach you patience. Now that it works, you can learn how it works by watching what everything does, and this will help with the next one.

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Harold, that is exactly what I've been doing. I have actually gone back to 2 movements that I gave up on because I could not figure out what was wrong with them and solved the problem on both due to having more understanding of the different functions of the different pieces, and I owe most of that understanding to you guys because of what I have learned by coming here, and then going back and fixing each problem.
I don't know if anyone here has done this, but I found a great way to understand what you guys tell me each time now. I had a 8 day Regula movt. that was real old and worn and beyond fixing and washed it real clean and took it apart and put it on a big board that I sprayed with flat white paint so the pieces wouyld stand out. Then each time I have a problem and get suggestions on how to fix it here, I take the parts that you say might be at fault and put them in between the plates without any of the other parts, that way I can watch as I move them in sequence and see very clearly how they work and then check the same parts in the problem movt. to see which one is not doing what it should. It's a lot easier to see how a certain area functions when there is nothing else around it blocking your line of sight. It really makes understanding something much easier. Well, I have another problem and am going to post it now. Thanks again for your help, TF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cicastol
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre