• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Regula 25 adjustment

eglaze

Oct 2, 2016
Country
Hello members and contributors to this site. I have gained many great suggestions and insights from reading posts on this forum for years. Thank You so Much!
I am recently retired and am in dire need of help on a clock issue. I have a sickness when it comes to clocks. Ten years ago, I was into Cuckoo clocks for their mechanical challenge. I did at one time have 15 running cuckoos in my house. I migrated to Grandfather clocks as the Cuckoos were becoming too much. I sold the whole group on Craigs list to some lucky fellow. I have owned 10 Grandfather clocks and presently have 3 Grandfather clocks running in my house. I am also dabbling with mantle clocks and have several of them running in the basement of my house. I appreciate the fact many of the old mantle clocks display Made in USA.
That brings me to my problem. My dear sister-in-law gave me a problem Cuckoo for Christmas. It is a One-day regula 25/1 musical Hunter's clock. The clock was filthy and looked like it had not been run for 30 years. The Deer head had both ears broke off and one horn snapped off when it was shipped to me. The chains were askew, and everything was covered with fuzz and the minute hand was broken off. Nice Gift Huh? She didn't know(sister-in-law)
I took the movement out and carefully gave it a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner. I did not take it apart completely as this scares the heck out of me to think about breaking it down that far. I don't want to lose parts and have a box of junk. I also tried to clean off the music box as it was filthy. I am embarrassed to say I did lose the spring from the music box and have been experimenting with replacement springs. I can't quite find the right spring yet as they all seem too stiff and don't allow proper operation.
I was able to put the movement back in the case and can get it to run perfectly overnight.... provided I leave it on silent. If I run the clock with cuckoo on, the unit seems to slow at 5 minutes to the hour and will come to a stop. If I advance the minute hand to the hour the music box runs and plays both tunes several times. at the same time the cuckoo sounds but the bird's movement is slow and labored like he is getting stuck in the door. I checked for clearance and will be adding some oil to spots to ease his movement as suggested to prior posts. Any suggestions as to adjustment would be appreciated. I will try to add photos. Any advbice would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance

front copy.jpg full inside copy.jpg inside 2 copy.jpg inside copy.jpg music box copy.jpg original copy.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Your pics are too small to see any detail. It looks like your on/off switch might be interfering with the music setup.

eglaze

Oct 2, 2016
Country
It should say that I reduced them for the site and second photos are the full size originals

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
It should say that I reduced them for the site and second photos are the full size originals
All the chains appear to be badly off center and dragging on the sides of the holes.
If that's the case it would be a good place to start.

dickstorer

Oct 19, 2010
Hampton, Georgia
Country
Region
Your post states that you received a one day musical cuckoo clock. Your picture tells me that it is probably a 8 day clock. A one day cuckoo will have the cuckoo chain wheel incorporating the hammer and cuckoo lift wires all in one. Yours shows one extra wheel below the hammer and cuckoo wire lift wheel, making it a 8 day clock. That would make it require a much heavier weight. Are you positive that you have enough power to run it properly?
Hello members and contributors to this site. I have gained many great suggestions and insights from reading posts on this forum for years. Thank You so Much!
I am recently retired and am in dire need of help on a clock issue. I have a sickness when it comes to clocks. Ten years ago, I was into Cuckoo clocks for their mechanical challenge. I did at one time have 15 running cuckoos in my house. I migrated to Grandfather clocks as the Cuckoos were becoming too much. I sold the whole group on Craigs list to some lucky fellow. I have owned 10 Grandfather clocks and presently have 3 Grandfather clocks running in my house. I am also dabbling with mantle clocks and have several of them running in the basement of my house. I appreciate the fact many of the old mantle clocks display Made in USA.
That brings me to my problem. My dear sister-in-law gave me a problem Cuckoo for Christmas. It is a One-day regula 25/1 musical Hunter's clock. The clock was filthy and looked like it had not been run for 30 years. The Deer head had both ears broke off and one horn snapped off when it was shipped to me. The chains were askew, and everything was covered with fuzz and the minute hand was broken off. Nice Gift Huh? She didn't know(sister-in-law)
I took the movement out and carefully gave it a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner. I did not take it apart completely as this scares the heck out of me to think about breaking it down that far. I don't want to lose parts and have a box of junk. I also tried to clean off the music box as it was filthy. I am embarrassed to say I did lose the spring from the music box and have been experimenting with replacement springs. I can't quite find the right spring yet as they all seem too stiff and don't allow proper operation.
I was able to put the movement back in the case and can get it to run perfectly overnight.... provided I leave it on silent. If I run the clock with cuckoo on, the unit seems to slow at 5 minutes to the hour and will come to a stop. If I advance the minute hand to the hour the music box runs and plays both tunes several times. at the same time the cuckoo sounds but the bird's movement is slow and labored like he is getting stuck in the door. I checked for clearance and will be adding some oil to spots to ease his movement as suggested to prior posts. Any suggestions as to adjustment would be appreciated. I will try to add photos. Any advbice would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance

View attachment 689287 View attachment 689288 View attachment 689289 View attachment 689290 View attachment 689291 View attachment 689292

View attachment 689287 View attachment 689288 View attachment 689289 View attachment 689290 View attachment 689291 View attachment 689292
All the chains appear to be badly off center and dragging on the sides of the holes.
If that's the case it would be a good place to start.

eglaze

Oct 2, 2016
Country
I will check the chain position and try the heavier weights as soon as I can get some. Thanks for your input.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Unrelated to your question, but I don't see any power to the dancers. Is it behind the black bracket, and do they move?

eglaze

Oct 2, 2016
Country
I did make an adjustment to the case and made sure the chains were in a better position in the center of the holes and the clock ran easier and the dancers rotated before the cuckoo's sounding. Clock still hesitates at 5 min to the hour. I added a photo of the back/front side to show power take off for dancers. Still trying to locate the heavier weights. All paperwork says 30 hour, one day clock.

20211227_134929.jpg

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
It's not an eight day. Writing on it says 25 a West Germany which puts production in this order 1970/1990/2010/2030. I think 1990 would be a fair guess. What your describing is what has happened to me when the movement needs servicing. Simply not enough power. Heavier weights might make it work but won't address the real issue. I wouldn't put eight day weights on it.

Reactions: JeffG

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
That clearly says Regula 25, which is a 1 day clock, but the wheels across the bottom which run run the musicbox/dancers make it look like an 8 day Regula 34.
My best guess at (one of) your problems is that the time train is worn out and isn't making enough power to lift the strike levers. You're going to need to pull the movement apart and probably replace a few bushings. A heavier-than-intended weight will just make longer eggs out of your pivot holes, jam wheel teeth together, and may damage the pivots.
Also, I agree that the pictures make it look as though the nighttime shutoff lever can interfere with the music box lever.
The sluggish cuckoo indicates wear in the strike train, too. Not enough power getting through to do the lifting.

Last edited:

eglaze

Oct 2, 2016
Country
Thanks for the input. I did try the heavier weights borrowed from the one Cuckoo I did keep for my use an 8day non musical woodchopper. The clock runs, but cuckoo sounds five times faster than normal. Twelve cuckoo sounds in four seconds. The clock will run past the 55 minute mark and continues thru to the hour but my music box didn't activate. Sorry to hear the consensus is rebush. So far all I have invested is time as this was a gift. Can I reasonably believe rebushing this clock is possible as a do it myself? I guess only one way to find out but I have no knowledge on the subject.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
"Heavier weights" are mentioned but heavier than what? Might have been mentioned elsewhere?? Willie X

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Something might be wrong in the music set up. Make sure that the lever with finger can easily drop into the hole in the side of the pin drum. That same lever should have an arm that halts the music (gets pulled into the fan) when the lever goes into the pin drum. The spring should have tension on it when the finger is in the drum.

Vernon

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
The clock runs, but cuckoo sounds five times faster than normal. Twelve cuckoo sounds in four seconds.
This is because you have put likely put a 1,500 gram weight on a movement designed for 275~320 grams. The reason your clock is running now is that those poor little pallets are holding back 5 times the force for which they were designed. Your chains are not meant to hold that much weight either. The links can open and stretch and then won't fit through the chainwheels properly. That will also stop your clock.
My advice is to forget about the music box until you get the time and strike trains working correctly- just take the weight off of that train altogether. Then see about finding a proper spring and getting the music sorted.
I don't think that a Regula 25 is a bad movement to start on. There aren't that many parts inside, they are somewhat forgiving of tolerances so long as the holes are round, and if you screw it up, there are a ton of new parts and/or used movements available. Get yourself a book and some tools and become the local cuckoo repair guy!

eglaze

Oct 2, 2016
Country
The weights I tried were 1280 grams and the ones from the original set up were 320 grams. After going back to the 320s straitening the chain alignment and letting the clock run overnight, happy to observe its still running. It moves past the 55 minutes mark and sounds at the hour with properly timed cuckoo calls. Both the time and call weights moved down their chains so now I am focusing on the music box. I was able to locate the spring for music box in the sweepings from garage floor and will work on putting it in. Wish I could get a decent replacement but cant find a source. All local big box stores(Lowes, Menards, Farm and Fleet, and Ace hardware don't offer a spring that fine) Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I micro metered it at .02 wire thickness.

Reactions: JeffG

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
A lucky break finding that spring!
A (somewhat) quick description of what should happen, if you are not already familiar.
When the clock goes into warning for a strike sequence, the lever that actuates the music box should rotate down. As it does, it should nudge the music box lever (the one with the spring attached) so that the lower end is removed from the hole in the end of the drum. The drum should rotate just the tiniest bit before the fly is caught by the wire at the end of the actuating lever. A few minutes later, the clock should strike/cuckoo, and at the end of the striking, the lever should lift allowing the fly to spin and the music box to function.
The music should stop after one rotation as the drum comes around and the pointy tip of the music box lever finds it's way into the hole at the end of the drum- being pulled into place by the spring that you have so fortuitously found in your dustpan.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That movement is still available, but currently out of stock. Late winter, I hear. Your last photo cleared up how the dancers are powered :)
I'm not fond of the bearing surfaces for the rod up to the dancers. They may need to be bushed and/or oiled. The hesitation at warning has to be one of two places: either lifting the rack hook to release the rack or setting up the music movement and the dancers. If you could observe it closely and try to determine which of those operations is causing the problem it would help. Also it appears you have an on/off switch. Be sure it is fully in the ON position.

Last edited:

eglaze

Oct 2, 2016
Country
Still making adjustments and will see what helps/works. Thank you all for your input and advice.

eglaze

Oct 2, 2016
Country
Happy to report the clock is keeping very nice time and Cuckoo is sounding at a nice speed and right on time. Fingers crossed for music box adjustments.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
The weights I tried were 1280 grams and the ones from the original set up were 320 grams. After going back to the 320s straitening the chain alignment and letting the clock run overnight, happy to observe its still running. It moves past the 55 minutes mark and sounds at the hour with properly timed cuckoo calls. Both the time and call weights moved down their chains so now I am focusing on the music box. I was able to locate the spring for music box in the sweepings from garage floor and will work on putting it in. Wish I could get a decent replacement but cant find a source. All local big box stores(Lowes, Menards, Farm and Fleet, and Ace hardware don't offer a spring that fine) Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I micro metered it at .02 wire thickness.
In honor of being elderly I have glued a magnet to a stick and use it to probe dusty places for hidden ferrous treasure. For a very fine spring look at Timesavers chime hammer return spings or, if you can, find a length of the fine 'spring belt' once used on home movie projectors. PRB Inc. might still have it. And don't ignore hobby shops, which often have screwy stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Genda
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller