reglueing cuckoo dial numbers

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Dave D, Feb 9, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    Preregistration is now closed.
    Visit the site for our New Member Walk In Deal.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Hi,
    I am working on an older cuckoo clock with a music box. The number 9 fell off the dial while I was working on it and I would like a suggestion for a good glue to reattach this with. I don't want to make a mistake and use the wrong glue and end up with a messy glob.

I just joined this forum after many hours of fun reading. I teach German in our local middle school and every year I give my top student a cuckoo clock that I have fixed up. I am glad that there are people here who do not hate cuckoo clocks and who actually seem to enjoy them. I am a novice repairer, especially as far as cuckoos go. I can take a movement apart and clean it, rebush and handle lantern pinion repairs, but other aspects confuse me, like escapements. I am looking forward to learning more as I go.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    By the way, is there a spell checker for this?
    Dave

2. tymfxr

tymfxr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 13, 2005
    buy, sell, restore, repair antique clocks since 19
    E. Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the MB! I use a dab of super glue for the numbers. Is there a spell check? Nine! Nah, just kidding. I think there is one but I don't know how to use it yet.
    Again, welcome, and I hope you will have a good experience joining and increase your skills.
    Mike C.

3. Bill V

Bill V Registered User

Jun 18, 2006
    Quality Engineer
    Orange, MA, U.S.A.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm really enjoys cuckoo clocks. I buy old ones whenever I find them for a decent price, and, until my wife recently sold some, we had them all over the house. My wife had one room in the house with a bird theme, and that room alone had seven of them. Now we have just two rooms with the cuckoos. At one time, I think that we had about eighteen of them. I have a lot of fun restoring them.

Super glue works great for the numerals. Just be careful to use only a tiny bit, and be sure that the numeral is in the right location so you don't have to move it after it has been aplied. If you have to slide it into position, you will get some glue residue that will be viisble.

Bill

4. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    May be a tad tedious but would perhaps, double sided Scotch tape work? Possibly lay down a piece of tape slightly larger than the numeral set the numeral and carve, excise excess tape from number.
    Und, "Ja"! Wilkommen ! Kuckucks uber alles!

5. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use Elmer's (white glue). Somebody might want to replace them some day, and superglue is a little hard to remove.

bangster

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Numbers require very little holding power. What you want is a simple glue that is removable. Super glue is OK for wooden numbers, but it requires heat to undo the job if you botch it, so plastic numbers present a problem. Contact cement works well, and as stated don't use more that the smallest amount you are able to apply. Most glues expand as they dry, so whatever you use, use about 1/4 the amount you want to! :D

7. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd advise touse a type of white glue as well, but put on small amounts at a time so that no blobs appear.

Hope my advise helps a bit;)

8. clockdaddy

clockdaddy Guest

DaveD,

Glad to have you with us!!
    As you have probably seen from your reading the forum, we have some fabulous people (and personalities!!) here in the MB. Problems? We ain't got no stinkin' problems! We do have a lot of answers and a lot of times they're not the same!

Different people in different situations with different levels of experience really make this fun to be a part of. And different answers doesn't necessarily mean anyone's wrong or right. It simply means that there are different approaches to solving "situations" that arise.

I've found that going to a thread that I know nothing about is educational and will sometimes bring up other questions to ask. There are some things I'm very good at, but there are some things I'm not very good at. There's help right here in the good 'ol forum! All you have to do is ask and, then, git outta tha way!

Oh by the way, watch out for Scottie!! He's either very smart or totally crazy...we really are sure yet! We do know that he doesn't get out of the shop enough!!

Thanks again for joining up with us!

9. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave - Welcome aboard. If you're not a member of the NAWCC, I strongly recommend you join. You will be surprised and pleased with all the different services they provide besides this MB.

Most people on this MB try to think outside the box except for Scottie. Scottie likes to think inside the Cuckoo box. :D But we like Scottie. He is smart (I think) and does give sound advice.

As for gluing on the plastic Cuckoo numbers. I would be sure the glue you use is intended for plastic. I found a 3M glue at Home depot that works on both wood and plastic. It gives you a little time to adjust position if needed and if you put it upside down you can take it off and start again. Upside down? I think I have done that once (or twice). Little numbers big hands and fingers. That's what I blame it on anyway.

10. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Thank you very much for the warm welcome.
    I was a member about 10 years ago, but then I got married and we had a baby. Money got tight so the NAWCC membership was dropped. I enjoyed the club a lot, but I did not feel I was getting that much out of it. I don't have the money to spend on fancy clocks and found most of the articles directed at the more expensive tastes and budgets. Now that I found this forum, I might have to join again as a way to make a contribution to keeping it going.

I appreciate all the good advice about reglueing the cuckoo number. I think I will try the Elmer's first and be very sparse and careful with it.

Dave

11. Jeff C

Jeff C Registered User
    NAWCC Business

May 26, 2005
    Seven Fields, Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave, a little late on this but I don't see why you can't take a toothpick and dab the end in some wood glue and put a few drops on the underside of the number. Replace and put a little pressure on it and in a few hours it should be holding quite well without the risk of falling off or seeing any glue residue.

Just an idea.

12. Cathy in Hawaii

Cathy in Hawaii Registered User

Feb 25, 2005
    Moku Nui, Hawaii
    Aloha Dave,

It seems the bottle of wood glue gets used a lot on cuckoos. Cases, birds, numbers, leaves, they all get stuck back together with basic wood glue. I usually put a tiny puddle of glue on the bottom of an old cup and then transfer the glue with a toothpick. Keeps it from getting all over the place. It is also much cheaper than superglue and doesn't stick my fingers together.

Sometimes rubberbands make nice "clamps" to hold the parts together until the glue sets since cuckoos don't require heavy pressure while gluing. Although, they wouldn't work while sticking numbers back on.

One can never have too many cuckoos! Ha!

A hui hou,
    Cathy

13. swankyman

swankyman Registered User

Nov 5, 2006
    A, A
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nothing more fun then have four or five go off one at a time. I have eight of them now,:thumb: but only have one running now to keep peace in the house:mysad:. Mark

14. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave
    Yes - PVA glue - white stuff. I use a small screwdriver to apply with a few dots of glue (no toothpicks in our house, and not sure where you would even buy them here!)

If it has a music box, it sounds like a newish one - probably a Regula movement or similar. The actual tune may date it.

Older cuckoos have cast brass plates, even earlier ones wooden plates.

15. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I believe this particular clock to be from the 1940's or earlier. It is marked Germany rather than West Germany. It has a count wheel movement (not a Regula) and the cuckoo is all wood with movable wings. The music box governor is a large fan.

Does anyone have any idea if these features do indeed help date the clock?
    Dave

16. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Speaking of keeping peace in the house. I have eight Cuckoos on the walls that run with about four more waiting for restoration. I usually only run one at at time and rotate which one runs every week or so. But some times when the spouse becomes a nag :bang:I send a message. I never say a word I just go around and set all eight cuckoos running and at different times:devil:. She gets the message(i). Cuckoos are great aren't they:clap:. But I've only done this twice. It seems that she knows how to get even. She hides all the pendulums:mysad:. And I mean all the pendulums, of every clock in the house. Darn women, ya can't live with'em and ya can't live without'em.

17. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Joseph, they must be saints to put up with us and our clocks!!!:clap:
    Dave, not all post WW11 clocks had West Germany marked on them. Many had just Germany, so this won't date them. Can you post a picture of the movement? Sounds like on I worked on last summer with a 3 train movement, and the music fly on top of the third train, which drives the music movement. Mine had a dancing platform, if I recall correctly.
    I would have dated it to the 1950-60's.

18. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave
    Sounds interesting to see such an early musical cuckoo clock.:)

Joe
    Now - that is quite a concept - a cuckoo clock with an inbuilt nag detector! Could patent it. (i)

19. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Sorry for the delay in posting the requested photo. I would greatly value any insight into the age of the clock. Hopefully the photo will help.

Attached Files:

20. harold bain

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting movement, Dave. It looks somewhat like the one I had. Probably the same manufacturer. Almost the same fly configuration for the music movement. I think mine was newer, as it had a rack and snail, not a countwheel. Yours appears to be missing a music man, or second bird, as it has a post for it, and a second door.
    Likely is pre WW11.

21. Dave D

Dave D Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks for your help in dating this clock. I know the zither player is gone. For the life of me I can't remember if he was there when I bought the clock last summer or not. I've searched all over my workbench and can't locate him. I'll keep my eyes open for one on Fleabay.

This did not come with any weights and I have it running with 375 gram weights. With 420 the cuckoos were going way too fast. I switched down to 375 and they seem more normal.

Dave

22. harold bain

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dave, you may have a hard time finding a zither player who fits on a post. Likely will have to adapt one to a bird holder.