Reform Electromechanical 4VDC Movement Cannon Pinion

Les McAlister

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
I have taken many electromechanical movements apart but am not sure about this Reform 4VDC electromechanical movement. Everything else has come apart as expected, but the cannon pinion appears to be attached to the handshaft and the drive gear is integral to the cannon pinion shaft and does not come off. I know it has to come apart, but before I start "experimenting" though I would check with others. Any of you have experience in this area?

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
no photos pretty much guarantees minimal response to a post... especially when asking for assistance with a more rare and specific repair issue.

speaking of which... your post should probably be in 'clock repair', or even better, 'electric horology'.... do you have a preference? let me know and i can move it for you.

good luck!

Les McAlister

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Hello Bruce,

Pictures won't really do much good. Either you know this movement or you don't. Those who do will readily recognize the name REFORM and hopefully have an answer.

Yes, Please move it Electric Horology.

I don't know why it stuck my post where it was....there were no options presented to place it anywhere else.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best Regards,

Lester

mxfrank

Oct 27, 2011
I found these photos on the web, but I'm not seeing anything unusual. A photo of what you're dealing with couldn't hurt

Brevet1.jpg Brevet2.jpg

Les McAlister

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, on the surface it looks like every other clock, however, I can't see any "seam" between the minute shaft arbor and the drive pinion for the counter wheel. As strange as it may seem it appears that they are machined together. I can't think of any reason someone would do this, but hate to put any pressure on it unless I am sure. Take a look at the pictures and let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0576.JPG

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
Lester

You should just be able to tap the centre arbor out of the cannon pinion. Obviously be very gentle. I think this option is less risky than trying to lever off the cannon pion and risk damaging the pinion leaves.

The motion works vary with the Reform movement depending upon the size of the hands attached (small mantle clock vs wall clock). The cannon pinion in my attached photo is taken from a wall clock movement where the minute hand actually screws onto the cannon pinion. Your picture shows a push-on attachment.

The centre arbor plus maintaining power shown in my picture is also for the push-on hand attachment. So my pictures are not a "matched pair". However the picture does show the same centre arbor as your, but with the cannon pinion removed.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Peter

Reform cannon pinion 1.jpeg Reform cannon pinion.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garyray
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update