Refitting glass

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by peanuts, Mar 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could someone please advise me on re-fitting the glass into a bezel?

I bought this clock at auction this week:
    0674c95b-d8ef-44d4-9a22-aa0700fbd2da.jpg
    The glass has been replaced in the past and fixed in with window putty :eek::eek:. I needed to re-solder the hinge to the bezel, so I needed to remove the glass to prevent cracking. When I had dug out the putty, the original retainer was revealed:
    2019-03-19 09.59.40.jpg
    Most of the 10 or so solder joints, which attach the retainer to the bezel, had separated, so my question is:

Do I re-solder the joints before fitting the glass, or after?

Simon

2. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would think that some of the solder joints will have to be done after the glass is fitted into the frame. I've never done one with this type of retainer, but when soldering in the final tab type, I place a wet sponge on the glass near the solder joint. It seems to help in absorbing some of the heat. I've only replaced glass on about seven bezels that needed new glass, but even though the number is low, I have not had one break from solder heat. I have read on the forum that they can, so it might be good to let things cool down between joints.

3. peanuts

peanuts Registered User

Mar 21, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Shaftesbury, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, tracerjack. I was curious as to the reason for the use of crinkled wire for the retainer, and wondered whether the idea was that you could deform it out of the way when putting the glass in, then pull it back into shape to hold the glass. I'll get half of then re-soldered then see if that's a possibility.