References for Complications

Discussion in 'Complicated Watches' started by NewBernWatchmaker, Oct 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NewBernWatchmaker

NewBernWatchmaker Registered User

Jun 1, 2018
    Male
    New Bern, NC
    Country Flag:
    Are there any good books that detail complication design and construction? De Carle's is the only thing I know of and it is limited in scope.

Thanks!

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    Definitely Watchmaking, Daniels. It's (barely) before the computer era; he uses the "first get yourself a really big piece of paper" design technique.

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi NewBernWatchmaker,

The best writing I've come across on repeaters is by Richard Watkins in Australia, who publishes his work online without charge. 'A Guide to Complicated Watches' by François Lecoultre is also worth reading if you can find a copy. Watkins has used several of his illustrations in 'The Repeater', (along with some corrections!). 'The Chronograph' by B. Humbert is good on all aspects of that species.

Regards,

Graham

4. NewBernWatchmaker

NewBernWatchmaker Registered User

Jun 1, 2018
    Male
    New Bern, NC
    Country Flag:
    Watkins is actually the only thing I have found; really awesome it is a freely available .pdf. I have heard others reference the Lecoultre book but it does seem to be a rare find. I will find Humbert's book as well. I am mostly interested in repeaters, calendar/astronomical functions. Anyone have details on what Elgin's up/down looks like? I have seen a cross section diagram but some movement pictures would be great!

5. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi NewBernWatchmaker,

Have a look on bookfinder, you should find both books there. Watkins is by far the most understandable and comprehensive book on repeaters.

Regards,

Graham

6. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes Steffan Pahlows book on Tourbillons in either German or English. He has also done a lot of You tube videos and he seems a very good guy. He has also written books on case making and his e book on Lorch lathes is great.