Redrilled dials

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by Jim DuBois, Jan 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Often we see redrilled dials and seldom are they anything less than very obvious. So, I offer this one as it is so well done I overlooked it as being redrilled until I removed it from the clock and turned it over. I figured I would share it here as an example. This was a wonderful dial in my opinion and it is indeed a shame it has been botched up forever, but certainly well botched.....

2017-12-26 14.53.55.jpg 2017-12-26 14.54.13.jpg 2017-12-26 14.54.32.jpg 2017-12-26 14.54.43.jpg

Selenaserval likes this.
  2. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's pretty well done, but then again, as long as you can colour-match, it's fairly easy to hide flaws and repairs. They do the same every time oil paintings go for conservation work. Often large sections of a painting have been retouched and you can't even tell.

3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just curious....is this a case where a UV/blacklight would reveal the patch?

4. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My light is not a very good one by current standards, but to your question Pat, I think the answer is no....

20180114_152159.jpg

5. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You'd certainly have to be looking for it - it's barely visible when enlarged and studied closely, but definitely not at first glance. Thanks for taking the time to try it and post the results.

Pat

6. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Oct 5, 2007
    Male
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, All,

To me the subject dial has had the inner ring of decoration added so as to aid in hiding the rework. It is very well done, but the decoration is, to me, by a different hand/artist.

Now, for a question: At times I have seen dials with reworked holes so well done as to make me suspect that the holes were plugged before the dial was originally painted. Does anyone know/suspect that dials like these were produced either by a mistake in drilling or a measurement/order change before being finished and "repaired" so as to avoid re-making?

This brings to mind the many Eli Terry and Eli Terry and Son/s dials that have after- production cutouts for the countwheel on the dial stiffener rails. There are just too many of these cut dials to be the result of later changes to make an old dial fit a particular clock. In my collecting years, I've seen so many of the Terry dials with the cut rails on the back. Could it be possible that the plugged dials could possibly be "original" in some cases?

Food for thought.

George N.