Red Chinoiserie Banjo Clock

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
I am looking to find a Red Chinoiserie Banjo Clock in regard to one my late father owned. May I ask what was produced matching this decription?
A sentimental search.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Do you have any pictures? If I recall correctly Ingraham and New Haven made some miniature banjo clocks that came in different colors - maybe 1930s timeframe. We had one that was black with gold oriental-style painted designs, but no pictures and I don't recall the maker for sure. It was an attractive little clock.

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
Do you have any pictures? If I recall correctly Ingraham and New Haven made some miniature banjo clocks that came in different colors - maybe 1930s timeframe. We had one that was black with gold oriental-style painted designs, but no pictures and I don't recall the maker for sure. It was an attractive little clock.
Thanks for your reply, no I dont have any photos of it, its a long time ago. Does anyone have any of this red lacquered case?

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
Pic shows a clock which could be what I am looking for?

View attachment 721552
Thanks very much for your replies, and identifying that clock, would that be the only Banjo clock made painted red, was there ever another maker version done in red chinoiserie lacquer? The problem with the ebay one is condition, its pretty down unfortunately, I was hoping to try and find a much better example? The dial in dented and restoring that while retaining the finish would be very difficult.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I don't know how long you've been looking, but there likely could be others. If the movement on this one doesn't work, in addition to the cosmetic issues (dial, missing arm, etc.), it would be rather costly to restore.

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
I don't know how long you've been looking, but there likely could be others. If the movement on this one doesn't work, in addition to the cosmetic issues (dial, missing arm, etc.), it would be rather costly to restore.
I haven't been looking long, and I agree I'll keep looking for a good original example, thanks for your good advice.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
So it sounds like the clock was the Ingraham?
Which clock are you referring to? All the photos shown or linked in this thread show red clocks decorated with painted flowers, none has anything resembling 'chinoiserie'.

JTD

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I suspect that the flowers were likely a decal of some sort. I recall seeing baby beds and other furniture from this era that were decorated with decals. The clock that I mentioned in post #2 (still can't remember the maker) appeared to be painted. I can try to contact the person who bought it to see if they have a picture or can tell me more about. Will report back when I hear.

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
I suspect that the flowers were likely a decal of some sort. I recall seeing baby beds and other furniture from this era that were decorated with decals. The clock that I mentioned in post #2 (still can't remember the maker) appeared to be painted. I can try to contact the person who bought it to see if they have a picture or can tell me more about. Will report back when I hear.
It was the Waltham Red lacquered clock I was referring to, if this had the same decoration as the Ingraham clock?

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
It was the Waltham Red lacquered clock I was referring to, if this had the same decoration as the Ingraham clock?
Was the Waltham the same as the Ingraham, that is with a floral motif or just painted red. If it had no flowers then my late fathers clock must have been the Ingraham. Waltham was a surname in my family history.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I have emailed the person who purchased the black clock with gold design that I mentioned in Post #2, to try to determine the maker. Will reply here when/if I receive any additional information.

As for a red Waltham, it seems that Joeydeluxed has not yet replied with respect to a picture of any of the colored Waltham banjo clocks.

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
I have emailed the person who purchased the black clock with gold design that I mentioned in Post #2, to try to determine the maker. Will reply here when/if I receive any additional information.

As for a red Waltham, it seems that Joeydeluxed has not yet replied with respect to a picture of any of the colored Waltham banjo clocks.
OK Thanks Pat, I will search the archives to see if there is anything you hold on the Waltham clock colours.

Joeydeluxed

NAWCC Member
Mar 3, 2007
Country
I am looking to find a Red Chinoiserie Banjo Clock in regard to one my late father owned. May I ask what was produced matching this decription?
A sentimental search.
C197A851-711C-4C0A-83EC-DEFE7533D0B8.jpeg Here’s a photo of a Waltham in green paint. I’ve also seen them in red and yellow. I found this photo on the internet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00035Skip
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller