Recta pocket watch

Guildford Mike

Jun 28, 2021
Country
I am attempting to identify this movement - see photos - which is unsigned and has no serial number. I have looked under Recta in Dr Ranfft but there is no exact match of the bridges. The movement dimensions are 40.6 (43.11 OD)
The gold filled case is a screw on back and bezel, marked A W C Co, Canada.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

recta1.jpg recta2.jpg recta3.jpg

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
In the year 1897 Antoine Muller (1861-1930) und Alcide Vaucher (1860-1924) founded a watch manufacturing business in Biel, Switzerland, called "Muller & Vaucher" ("MV" od. "VM"). The company was renamed 1917 (Watchwiki says 1898, but this seems rather unlikely and will rather refer to the registration of the trademark "Recta" in that year) to "Recta SA. Successors to Muller & Vaucher".​

Last edited:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I have moved this to the European Pocket Watch forum.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
The calibre designations are a bit fuzzy. In most registers (also here) they consist of letters and maximum one digit. Occasionally an additional four-digit number is met on a movement, with or without slash between first and last digit pair. Here the first pair represents the size in lignes, the second pair likely the year of introduction.
from: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Recta SA, Fabrique d'Horlogerie, Bienne, Genève
Is there a photo of the dial side?
The coverplate or setting spring is usually a good ID feature.

It looks like a Recta to me. It doesn't appear in Dr Ranfft's list of descriptions but that doesn't mean that it wasn't produced by Recta.

Guildford Mike

Jun 28, 2021
Country
Many thanks Gentlemen.
I have attached a photo of the front plate as requested, and take from the responses to date that this is a Recta Calibre 19"" A? recta 4.jpg

Guildford Mike

Jun 28, 2021
Country
Merci pour votre assistance.
The watch is running well, but the winder ratchet hole in the bridge has ovalised so I am looking to replace the bridge - no luck so far (ebay or general searches)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VTC Duane
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner