Recovered Images reported in the sticky in MB Help.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
All of the posts have the same photo at the left. A photo of three clock hands. Looks like a photo off of E-Bay. Do I have a glitch?

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Lots of missing photos here in the Illinois Private Label thread. Some showing an 'X' and some just not showing.

Illinois private-labels

Also, take a look at post #1000. The four 'View attachment' links should also be the 'party' smilie but are now links to patent drawings/pages.

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
This thread was, I believe migrated from the old platform - the initial post by Tom is May 2014. Post migration, I'm not sure whether we should be posting here as the number of threads with missing attachments is huge and I believe has identified them by SQL. Could the administrators please clarify.

John

scootermcrad

NAWCC Member
Mar 1, 2016
North Carolina
cabarrustimesavers.blogspot.com
Country
Region
Tom,

Here are some of mine: (onesy twosies)

Gourdin A Mayet Tower Clock

Bell Strike Silencing Techniques

Concord, NC Bank Clock - Please Identify

Paint Details for an A.S. Hotchkiss Restoration

Some others:

First Time Gear Cutting - Thank you Jerry Kieffer

Owner built precision regulator

Building a Pinwheel Skeleton Clock (I feel like this one must be missing pictures??)

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/unknown-clock.144666/ (this has several different kinds of errors)

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/tower-clock-identification-please.141462/

That's just a handful from the first couple pages of the Clock Construction and Tower, Monument & Street Clock forums. They are both littered with "red X" boxes and link errors.

Hope that helps in some way. I'm doing a lot of research right now and these are some that I ran across today. Many more in both those sections. Not sure on the other sections, since I don't frequent them as much.

Good luck Tom! Thanks for your efforts. And don't forget to post pictures of that tower clock project. I would really like to see it. :)

Scott

scootermcrad

NAWCC Member
Mar 1, 2016
North Carolina
cabarrustimesavers.blogspot.com
Country
Region
This thread was, I believe migrated from the old platform - the initial post by Tom is May 2014. Post migration, I'm not sure whether we should be posting here as the number of threads with missing attachments is huge and I believe has identified them by SQL. Could the administrators please clarify.

John
Oops. I just saw that. Shoot.

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
Lots of missing photos here in the Illinois Private Label thread. Some showing an 'X' and some just not showing.

Illinois private-labels

Also, take a look at post #1000. The four 'View attachment' links should also be the 'party' smilie but are now links to patent drawings/pages.
Dave, you should be able edit your own post to make it look the way you want it to. I'm hesitant to do it because there is text that's NOT related to the party - & maybe ilustrations that should be there to illustrate the text. I'm not a watch guy, so I'm not SURE.

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
To all who have posted here recently: Please re-read Post #1. I've edited it to try to explain what's going on, and why you might not get specific answers in this thread.

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
No problem. I wish I had a better answer.

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
As we said above:
Listing them individually here probably won't help. Please be patient. This thread should become useful again after we solve the major problem.
I assure you, Tom is working on the problem, and has made some progress. There are thousands of missing images, and he's working on an automated way to make them ALL come back. But he can't work on specific individual images.

jhe.1973

NAWCC Business
Feb 12, 2011
Arizona, USA
www.jim-haubert.com
Country
Region
Hi Everyone,

I am also active (as time permits) on the Home Shop Machinist forum and they have always allowed the individual to edit his/her own posts. There is no time limit. Because of the Photobucket fiasco, I somewhat recently had to replace all the missing images over there for my most popular threads and will do all of my others as as I can get to them. Some of these threads are several years old.

Is there any reason why we could not have that here?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
We consider this site an archive rather than a chat room. We have all of our content for the last 15 years available here to the best of our ability. We have not lost any images in our recent software change, it is just taking a while to move the pieces over that our consultant could not handle in the original job.

jhe.1973

NAWCC Business
Feb 12, 2011
Arizona, USA
www.jim-haubert.com
Country
Region
Wouldn't allowing a person who contributes to update their own post(s) make it easier on the NAWCC staff? I have corrected spelling and grammar mistakes and occasionally had to reword things for clarity. I have been disappointed that I can not do the same here. All of my photos are filed and backed up on my end so it seems to me that it would be the easiest for me to replace them rather than having another person try to get the order correct to the various descriptions.

If this is to be an archive, isn't the original contributor the most qualified to recognize and edit their posts? At HSM, I have even updated some of my photos that I have posted when I had better views or sharper images.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
As an archive it needs to be a record of what happened, not revisionism. There is a period of time available to correct posts for spelling etc after posting but it is important this is relatively short or there is a risk of changes making a thread incomprehensible.

In regard to picture storage the huge advantage of this site is that most pictures are stored on the server, not links to some photo storage site where the links could be broken.

This is vital when researching because there may be no way of contacting the original poster to obtain new links. Particularly in my field of 17th and 18th century clocks it can be years between posted examples of particular makers work.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The Encyclopedia area has both author editing and crowd editing available but the forums generally have much less experienced users. In the past we have had problems with disappearing material disrupting what had been an interesting discussion.

We now harvest any images posted and put them in secure storage.

Dynamic web sites where the content is calculated on the fly are not archived by the web archive service so the only way to ensure that the contents of the regular forums is protected is to save it. We have substantially increased the edit period.

To put this in perspective, we are talking about over 300,000 images. Without structures in place it could not really be maintained at all.

Another downside to unlimited editing is that it is often used by trolls to get an argument going which is then turned on its head by edits to the starting post(s). To get the work of our moderators down to a reasonable level of effort, we limit the window for corrections to a post.time

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Up til about 10 years ago we did allow unlimited edit time. That was changed when a disguntled member turned the message board into Swiss cheese by deleting all of his posts. This is why editing time is limited.

Firegriff

Feb 22, 2013
Country
Hello, I am not seeing any images old or new on the forums is there a checkbox somewhere to show images?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I have the ability to masquerade as you to see what you would see. I am using the Chrome browser and I see all the images when I am pretending to be you.

I am pretty sure that does not depend on the browser. Can you see the images just below here?

IMG_1858.JPG IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1914.JPG IMG_1930.JPG TJavatarC.png

jhe.1973

NAWCC Business
Feb 12, 2011
Arizona, USA
www.jim-haubert.com
Country
Region
The Encyclopedia area has both author editing and crowd editing available but the forums generally have much less experienced users. In the past we have had problems with disappearing material disrupting what had been an interesting discussion.

We now harvest any images posted and put them in secure storage.

Dynamic web sites where the content is calculated on the fly are not archived by the web archive service so the only way to ensure that the contents of the regular forums is protected is to save it. We have substantially increased the edit period.

To put this in perspective, we are talking about over 300,000 images. Without structures in place it could not really be maintained at all.

Another downside to unlimited editing is that it is often used by trolls to get an argument going which is then turned on its head by edits to the starting post(s). To get the work of our moderators down to a reasonable level of effort, we limit the window for corrections to a post.time

Thank you Tom, Harold & Novice for going into more detail of the reasoning behind the editing policy. This enables me to understand why this came to be.

This now might be a chance for me to explain my concerns a bit more.

In September of 2016 I rebuilt my own website after it had been mostly 404 errors for close to a year. The person who had been hosting it disappeared and I had to rebuild it myself. It is now under my complete control as much as possible.

During my rebuild, I discovered that 2 website rating services placed my site in the top 1/2 percent of all sites world wide.

I was blown away having had no previous idea of this.

On 3 of my own website pages I provided links to 3 corresponding threads here that I started. I saw the views of these threads jump up and continue to grow. I have updated these links to reflect the new addresses.

I probably should have asked first, but I figured the extra exposure might help the NAWCC.

To give viewers the heads up should they follow these links I have included the following statement:

"Please note that the NAWCC is experiencing some trouble with their new format. All the photos for this thread may not show up. This issue is being addressed and will be corrected."

If there is any objection to any of this, I will remove whatever you feel needs to go.

Thanks for your consideration!

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Jim, until we work out a solution to the picture problems, your warning is fine. We probably should have something similar on this site. I suspect our problems are rooted in switching from http to https, a more secure format. But I have faith that our techies will find a solution.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The solution is known, but has not yet been implemented. I have too many things on my schedule to get to it before next week at the earliest. My immediate priorities are the Chapter 87 meeting Sunday morning, my webinar on the 1876 Centennial Sunday night and an Artifacts Committee meeting in Bristol on Tuesday. I will also need to attend to some treasurer duties at my church before the 15th.

I can find every image I look for with a relatively simple manual process. However, I cannot do 30,000 images that way. If there are any critical images you need, let me know the attachment ID and I can display it for you. It takes 3 or 4 minutes for each image to fetch them by hand.

To help your understanding, all the references to images use an attachment ID code. However a given image can appear more than once, so each has a data ID code for the actual image. Given an attachment ID, I can look up the data ID from the old site. Once I have the data ID, the actual image is located at [IMG]https://mb.nawcc.org/safe/attachment/files/2/dataID.attach[/IMG] Where dataID is replaced by the number found. Here is one of mine that has been lost.
21223.jpg

Last edited:

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Thanks, Tom. That now works. Interesting in that particular post, the image now shows, but the link that's still there doesn't work.

Kurt

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The repair process will delete the old bad links as well as display the correct image. I did this one manually and left the bad link there until you could confirm the image was correct. The number in the link does identify that image, except on the old system, not here. I will delete it now.

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
A slight aside Tom, though the icon that shows there are photos in the post isn't showing int the thread list pages.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I will try to figure that out. The repair work is all being done from the back side.

The user profile page list of attachments is likely also missing references. There are some built in tools for repairing indices that may fix the listings. I will wait until the repairs are finished to use those.

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region
I will try to figure that out. The repair work is all being done from the back side.

The user profile page list of attachments is likely also missing references. There are some built in tools for repairing indices that may fix the listings. I will wait until the repairs are finished to use those.
Thanks for the ongoing efforts Tom, to you and the other site techs

Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2012
Columbus. OH
Country
Region
Insurance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member