Record W Co. movement in A.W.C. Co. Case

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by nyx, Jul 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. nyx

nyx New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Typical story, my great grandfather left me a couple of pocket watches.

One I was able to determine is a 1916 American Waltham. The Cover has a slight bend in it and the cover hinge needs to be re soldered but other than that the case and the movement are in exceptional condition.

The second one is proving more difficult to find information on.

As shown in the photos it is engraved on the movement "Record W Co.", 4 Adjst, 100800, Swiss.

The back of the case cover is engraved Empress w/ Crown trademark, A.W.C. Co., 3643912, Case made in Canada

What I was able to find out about the movement was that is was most likely manufactured by Lancaster Watch Co. in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in or around 1886. This is the part that I am looking for help in confirming.

The size should be 18s.

Researching the American Watch Case Co. shows that they did have a canadian operation that began production around 1885 in Toronto, Ontario, so the timeframe for the movement 's production is at least plausible.

The movement could probably use a thorough cleaning but it still runs like a top.

Any help locating more information about this watch would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 350246 View attachment 350247

2. topspin

topspin Registered User

Dec 14, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it says Swiss on the movement then that's exactly what it is.

"Back in the day" the movement and case were separate purchases from separate manufacturers, so they need to be analysed in isolation.

Nice case - 10-sided is a little unusual. You could consider temporarily switching in a standard-size movement to find out what size it is. I'd guess 12s or 16s.

That looks like a penknife someone's attached to it at some point - this is quite a common thing to find.

3. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    My guess a 12 Size case, movement not made by Lancaster, as topspin has said it is marked Swiss, and you have said it is the "Record W Co", so it is Swiss.

4. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As it is a Swiss movement, I'll move this to the European forum.

5. nyx

nyx New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Ok, so it's a swiss movement. Does anyone know where I can find serial numbers for Record W Co. movements or American Watch Case Co. case serial numbers to try and narrow down a production date for either?