Reconstruction

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by amzgraz, Nov 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. amzgraz

amzgraz Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I purchases and received a marble clock which was damaged. It had actual broken pieces as well as pieces that had become seperated from the marble case. The several pices were eithe pasted. glued, mortared, or ? together. Does anyone know what material was used for the assembly. I seems to a cream colored cementatious product from the early 1900s.
    thanks
    amzgraz.

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I do not know what they used, but I have reconstructed several of these and have found a product that will work very well on them. It is available in a caulk tube which is ideal for those projects. It sets up fast and cannot be separated once it sets.its called F26 construction adhesive by Leach.

BDA79A82-5F8C-4280-ABB9-EDE18C4BF301.png

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Originally they used plaster of Paris for this. The problem with it is that is doesn't stick very well. I think that wow's suggestion is a good one.

Uhralt

4. rickyn

rickyn Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2009
    retired masonry contractor
    Binghamton,NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have used plastering gesso. It worked real good. The veins of my clock are gold color. So I put golden colored powder in it . When I finished and shined it. It looks like the other veins that where there. Rickyn.

5. amzgraz

amzgraz Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks again for your suggestions. the easiest was a bube of construction adhesive. Worked great.:p