Recondition "Cat Gut"

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
And so I am working on a tall clock that has "cat gut" for cables. It seems to be in un-frayed condition.

My question today is: Is there a way to clean/recondition these lines?

Input and suggestions are appreciated. I would like to keep them with the movement as apposed to replacing them with cables.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
If it is smooth throughout its length, it should be fine. You can soak it a few days in olive oil to condition it if it is dry and frayed.

f.webster

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Country
Region
Thanks for the olive oil tip.
Some say, the rule of thumb is: if the drums have ridges it should have cables.

Any truth?

The movement I am restoring has ridges on the drum.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Thanks for the olive oil tip.
Some say, the rule of thumb is: if the drums have ridges it should have cables.

Any truth?

The movement I am restoring has ridges on the drum.
I have seen many very old movements with ridges and gut. I’ve never heard that.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
If it is English and before 1880 it will have grooves in the barrel and it should be gut.

If you are servicing or restoring the clock it is presumably ten years or so since the gut was changed, so change the gut. The cost outweighs the grief of having to deal with a broken line.

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
What Nick says is the guide. If the bottom of the fusee track is square then it probably had a chain, if round it could only had have a cable. Heavy modern cable (like steel) will often mark the barrel. If you have any doubt about the gut line it is better to replace it. Modern gut line is still available and will last a long time.
David

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Barrels in tall clock movements have been grooved for many years, and yes, the clocks used gut since early times; Only in the last 100 years +/- have brass and steel cables been used by some who hope to provide a better solution. While it may seem the clock and its owner are better served by brass or steel cable that is not always the case.

As Nick mentions quality modern gut is first-rate and does last many years. And to the smooth drum/barrel vs grooved; Smooth barrels are more often found on American made tall clocks. There are some English/Irish/Scottish tall clocks with smooth drums also, but grooved barrels were more readily available to those folks than here. It seems the smooth barrels may have been used in more rural areas, and more in later periods, but that is an undocumented observation by me.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayjayclox
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool