Recommendations for preparing brine solution for quenching

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Paul Madden, Mar 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Madden

Paul Madden Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Male
    Bienne, Switzerland
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone,

I'm interested in preparing my own brine solution for quenching small carbon steel tools and steel clock components.

Tubal Cain recommends using "vacuum-dried salt" as used by farmers to make butter, and also indicates a ratio of 80 - 100 g per liter of water (Workshop Practice Series 1 - Hardening, Tempering and Heat Treatment).

Have any members tried this type of salt and ratio to prepare their own brine solution?
    If not, do any members have a recommendation on the best type of salt to use, and also a good weight ratio solution, ideally grams to liters?

I can find what appears to be fairly coarse and unmodified sea salt sold in1 kilo bags, but I'm not sure if this contains any additives such as an anti-caking agent (The sea salt is imported and sold in a local bulk-purchase Asian supermarket and doesn't provide any other information than "Marine salt").

Would an anti-caking agent have a detrimental effect on the solution, and if so, does anyone know what type and where the appropriate type of salt could be purchased? (I live in Europe, but if I know the type of salt I can try and source it locally. If you have a specific brand name for the salt that would help also).

Hope you can help!

Paul.