Recommendations for in-depth cuckoo clock repair book

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Elliott Wolin, Nov 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Elliott Wolin

Elliott Wolin Registered User

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    I'm a beginner looking for a cuckoo clock repair book so I can refurbish a clock with a Regula 25 movement (pivots and holes look ok, it's mainly just dirty, along with broken hands, decayed bellows, rusty chains, and some rust here and there). You might recommend I just buy another Regula 25, but the idea is that this will be a learning experience for me.

I have Balcomb's two books, plus one by de Carle and another by Penman. Balcomb has a nice chapter on basic cuckoo repair, but not something in-depth concerning taking the movement apart. The others don't have much to say about cuckoo clocks.

I suppose the movement is just a standard rack-and-snail weight-driven movement with a few extra bits, so general sections in the above-mentioned books might suffice. But at this early stage I need my hand held when reassembling a movement, particularly in order to get the striking system synched to the time system.

Any suggestions?