Recommendations for a quality wall clock

miamaelia

Oct 3, 2021
Country
Appreciate this might not be the right section of the forum to post this in, so apologies in advance...

I'm currently looking for a large wall clock to hang in our kitchen (wife's orders). From what I can tell (by browsing John Lewis). Most use the cheap mass-produced movement with plastic hands (sure you all know the type). Which isn't something I particularly want to buy.
concrete stain Raleigh
As this forum helped me with my first 'luxury' watch purchase, I wondered if there are any recommendations on the best place to look? Thanks.

Cheezhead

Dec 30, 2010
Wisconsin
Country
Region
I suggest that you research and then post again describing with more specificity what it is that you will and will not require..

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
mechanical or battery powered quartz movement?
what is 'large'?
pendulum?
budget?
examples of clocks you and/or she like?

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
English fusee dial clock, available with dials from 8" to around 24".
I had absolutely no idea you would suggest that… I am totally gobsmacked! :)

Of course, I was thinking something with a seconds pendulum...

Reactions: Bernhard J.

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
English fusee dial clock, available with dials from 8" to around 24".
That sounds like a good suggestion. They are quality but they don’t have to be too expensive. The examples from around the 1930’s are reasonably priced and not something of great value as a kitchen environment is not ideal for clocks as Mike mentioned.

Depending on how big the kitchen is and the decor one of the factory produced (German) Vienna Regulators might work too. If it is a kitchen with a dining area, as seems to be the fashion these days, it would be away from steam and grease.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Since the OP was presumably looking at quartz clocks in John Lewis, it is worth noting that mechanical clocks are significantly deeper than your typical quartz clock, because the movement is that much larger.

I'm not sure if the OP is looking to buy a mechanical clock, but if it is an option (and it will certainly be a better quality clock than modern options) then the depth needs to be taken into consideration when thinking where the clock will fit.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Woohoo woo woo, "steam and grease", that was from long ago, back when kitchens were used for cooking. Where I live, kitchens are huge now but seldom used ... just for show. :oops:

American store clocks look good in a big kitchen. Willie X

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Kitchens can get damp and greasy when cooking ... :)

I have 4 clocks in the kitchen, soon to be 5. It is a well ventilated space and probably less huimid than the rest of the house. The clocks are opposite end to the cooker and seem to suffer no ill effects.

Though often called schoolhouse or railway clocks I have always thought of them as kitchen clocks.

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
My wife, who keeps shaking the head and shrugging shoulders every time I turn up with a new clock or watch, accepted this classical kitchen clock as acceptable for the place. Not expensive, considerably less than a "design" modern kitchen clock with quartz movement.

2.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Not expensive, considerably less than a "design" modern kitchen clock with quartz movement.
And it's much nicer than most of them too! I think it's very elegant. (And 'wipe-clean' too, very good for in the kitchen).

JTD

c.kugle

Jul 15, 2021
Country
How about the classic Kit-Cat clock with waging tail and moving eyes.

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
dad gum double post

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
I have a couple gingerbread clocks in my kitchen. one on the top of cabinet, and one a wall hanger. They are cheap and mostly reliable, and i have a great ST thats time only. I plan on getting rid of it , but hate to because to me, it has a cool factor and it was going into the kitchen, and came out of one a few years ago. 5A595589-9D6B-4849-BC2E-C29E8D258EC8.jpeg

• Love

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShadyShinju
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-