• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Recommendation for a mechanical alarm clock

Philip Bayer

May 23, 2006
A customer of mine asked about acquiring an inexpensive (but not Walmart inexpensive) mechanical alarm clock. Anyone have a recommendation for a currently produced alarm clock? I could not think of any.

Thanks,
Philip

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
Not particularly current but---go on ebay and obtain one of the later Lux/Robertshaw alarm clocks. Make sure it runs-alarms-and all winders etc.- are there. Thay made good robust alarms. Of course ebay also offers Big Bens and Baby Bens.
Some of the alarms on there had very little use or are NOS.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Tbh I don't see how anyone today can make and sell an inexpensive mechanical clock.

The only ones I am aware of with an alarm are carriage clocks which L'Epee still make, Bayard may still also be producing them or at least were in the 1990s, they aren't however inexpensive.

Philip Bayer

May 23, 2006
Thanks, I'll check some of these.
He didn't have a price in mind, but of course wants the best of all worlds, mechanical but cheap, but also accurate and reliable, which are generally mutually exclusive categories...

Philip

Arthur Cagle

May 22, 2003
Greater Baton Rouge Area, Louisiana
Country
Region
We have used (and still use) Baby Bens and Big Bens for decades. They are accurate and durable but not generally accepted as repairable. If he wants a working clock as opposed to a collectible, this is the one (even if he does buy it at Wal-Mart).
Arthur