Recomendations - Watch Dial research

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Britannicus, Oct 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Britannicus

Britannicus Registered User

Apr 26, 2016
    IT consultant
    Derby UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi All,

I'm trying to educate and develop my knowledge of watch dials - how they have changed over time, manufacture, styles etc.

Can anyone reccomend a good source for the keen amateur ? - online and free is always great, but not opposed to buying something if it will really inform.

I'm intrigued by the style of numbering on this Sekonda - I have a Waltham with a similar style, but can't find any defined font that produces a 7 like this ? - is there a way numbering styles are described (other than the basic Arabic, Ottoman, Roman). Surely somebody has made a study - I'd like to find out more :)

sekonda.jpg
    Cheers

2. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know of a single source for such dial and style information. I have seen descriptions in some older Waltham Watch Co. brochures on how they made dials. Reference to the various watch company material catalogs will show how some companies described the styles. I believe Theo Schwalm had an article in our Bulletin that described dial making at his company. I suspect there must be other information on the making of British dials.

The number style on your Sekonda was fairly common in the 'twenties.

3. Larry Treiman

Larry Treiman Registered User

Jan 18, 2009
    Tired and retired!
    So. Calif.
    The NAWCC Bulletin article to which Jerry referred is titled "DIALS: A TREATISE ON THE SUBJECT" by Theo. R. Schwalm and appeared in the February 1992 issue of the NAWCC BULLETIN, Vol. 34/1, No. 276. pp.3-19.

Sadly, an "IN MEMORIAM" for Mr. Schwalm,1906-1991, appears on pp.58-59 of the same issue of the BULLETIN as his aptly named treatise!

Mr. Schwalm joined the Hamilton Watch Co. in 1928 and remained there until the end of 1946. The bulk of that time was spent in the development and manufacture of watch of watch dials during those years at Hamilton, and he worked his way up to foreman of the dial department.

He turned in his resignation in September 1946 and left Hamilton at the end of the year to start his own dial manufacturing company in Lancaster, Theo. R. Schwalm, Inc. He retired from the company in 1971 and severed all connections with the company, selling the business to his son-in-law. He continued to be active in the NAWCC until his death in 1991. His treatise provides insight into both his years at Hamilton and at his own dial company, as well as the subject of watch dials in general.

Members of NAWCC can access back issues of the NAWCC BULLETIN right here on this site. Well.....at least they could up until the latest "upgrading". I can't check because I became a drop-out in 2009, after forty great years as a member!

Larry Treiman

4. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Tref

Tref Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Members can indeed still access past issues of the bulletin Larry, and thank you for posting the pointers to the article by Mr. Schwalm. I just downloaded it, and it appears to be a good 'un. Still fascinates me to read about the experiences of past employees of the manufacturers as well as to learn about how the products were made.