Recognize Swiss watchmaker name?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by JerseyGal, Dec 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JerseyGal

JerseyGal Registered User

Dec 24, 2019
    Female
    Retired
    New Jersey
    Country Flag:
    I've inherited a petite Swiss key wind pocket watch, and have been unable to research the name on the face. Hohert? Rurert? Robert? I'm baffled.....and wonder about the age of the piece.

Size leads me to assume is a womans watch, might have belonged to my late grandmother.

The movement appears to be rather simple, no crystal is plastic, no apparent hallmarks other than a serial number on the case (nickle or some other silver metal?). I hesitate to polish, I quite like the patina.

It runs well in the horizontal position.

Any ideas? Many thanks....

Linda

20191225_214746.jpg 20191225_220700.jpg 20191225_214632.jpg 20191225_214918.jpg 20191225_214824.jpg

2. tick talk

tick talk Registered User

Sep 16, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Looks like "ROBERT GENEVE".

Keith R... likes this.
  3. JerseyGal

JerseyGal Registered User

Dec 24, 2019
    Female
    Retired
    New Jersey
    Country Flag:
    Ding, ding, ding, looks like we have a winner. Thank you Tick Talk.....now there's Google results!

4. Squite

Squite Registered User

Jun 26, 2012
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They usually marked the outer case and used a cheaper metal (like silver plated copper) for the inner cuvette. That's maybe why there's no other marking on the inner case. Just a thought.

Also, the "Robert" name may just be the name of the jeweler that sold the watch in Geneva and not the maker of the watch at all, which wouldn't be a surprise due to the workshop orientated nature of Swiss manufacturing, where different shops would specialize in the different components and they would then be assembled at the jeweler.

Keith R... likes this.