Recent Shell Clock Find

dls

Apr 24, 2021
Country
I recently came upon this clock and looking to work with the merchant to determine a reasonable price. the challenge is neither he nor I have ever come upon a clock like this and cannot find any history on a similar clock. Does anyone have any idea have why/how/when these/this clock was created. Face appears to be all wood, albeit with what looks like a wood veneer top finish. Cannot get to works unless we remove the back wood piece (i.e. would take a bit of time). appears to be missing pendulum.
Otherwise, clock appears to be in decent shape. I am assuming this clock would mostly appeal to ex-Shell employees (?)
thanks in advance
Don

Shellclock1.jpg ShellClock2.jpg ShellClock3.jpg

Reactions: Dave T and Salsagev

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
I did a little Google search and came up with this. If you're in Georgia might have something to do with the fact the founding member was a clock salesman.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum.

Does anyone have any idea have why...these/this clock was created.
These are known as advertising clocks. We have a thread dedicated to advertising clocks. I do not recall seeing a Royal Shell Petroleum Company advertising clock in that thread.

Share your advertising clocks. | NAWCC Forums

I am assuming this clock would mostly appeal to ex-Shell employees (?)
Advertising clocks are collectible beyond people associated with the company or product being advertised.

Is the dial made in two pieces? I see what appears to be a horizontal crack at the 9 and 3 hours, but I assume it could also be a two piece dial.

I would very much be interested in seeing the movement, which would hopefully show the maker of the movement.

Regards.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
I think the dial is cracked, rather than designed as a 2-piece - the join does not appear to be straight if you look at the section past 9 o'clock. The box at the back should be designed to come off relatively easily, as the movement would have needed regular servicing, and if you can take the back off someone here might be able to help identifying the movement maker. But be careful - if the dial is cracked, that might cause further damage.

dls

Apr 24, 2021
Country
Guys, thanks for responding!
Agreed, the Face appears to have a crack across it.
I would also like to get access to the clock movement but I will have to see how the owner feels about that. With that said, he is limiting his ability to market the clock without more information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre