Really Urgent Case Help needed

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Jamesnakkal, May 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jamesnakkal

Jamesnakkal Registered User

Jan 30, 2011
    Malaysia
    Country Flag:
    I have this 1925 D.G.R.M clock with damaged veneer. May I know how to identify the type of veneer and where can I get a replacement.

Regards

Albert

2. Jamesnakkal

Jan 30, 2011
    Malaysia
    Country Flag:
  3. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Albert, I suspect you don't have a lot of experience in veneering. Otherwise you would not be asking whaere to find the veneer replacement. Replacing a veneer that has three curves is not an easy thing to do even for someone experienced with this type of application. Not only do you have a damaged top veneer but the side shown in your photo is also damaged. It's almost impossible, without a lot of experience in doing so to match a new veneer with an old in type, grain, and in finished color. If you do this job I would suggest re-venering the entire clock. The trim looks to be a red mahogany and the grain of the veneer looks to be mahogany as well. Problem there is that there many types of mahogany from around the world. The trim, and the veneer is probably glued on with hide glue, it all should come off with the application of heat. To find a veneer you can go on line, and Google (any search engine) - Wood Veneer Supplies. But before you buy anything I would go on You Tube and study the veneering demonstrations there untill you understand how its done. There are also any number of books with a lot of information on how to veneer. It would also be a good idea if you used hide glue on this project. If it does not come out the way you want it to you can apply heat remove what was done and you can start over again.

musicguy likes this.
  4. wcampbell

wcampbell Registered User

Nov 25, 2013
    Male
    Aircraft Mechanic / Contractor
    Wiesbaden Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Albert
    Joseph is correct. I have done a lot of Veneer restorations and it can be very tricky. Thomas Johnson Antique furniture restoration is a great source of information. He has lots of veneer restoration videos. You can learn a lot from his expertise. I know I have.

5. Jamesnakkal

Jan 30, 2011
    Malaysia
    Country Flag:
    Gentleman, you are extremely right in saying that im inexperienced. I come from a part of the world where mahogany veneering is not common, I dont plann to do the work but get the parts and find a carpenter who can.

Thanks for the recommendations. Is there any shops you know of that sell this type of mahogany. As far as I know this clock comes from Germany in around the 1925's

6. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can find any kind of veneer you want on line. A search for veneer supplies will bring up a lot of companies you can order from.