REALLY Bad Bushing

wbranko

Feb 1, 2004
Country
I am repairing an Ingraham Urania calendar clock with about 8 bushings that need to be replaced...its amazing (and unfortunate) that this clock kept running so long. It was incredibly dirty.

Anyway, the T4 bushing (face plate) is so oblong, that the channel grooved into the oil sink extends all the way to the plate. I can put a new bushing in, but I am concerned about how well it will hold and how it will look. The new bushing is not wide enough to cover the entire damaged area...so even after I put it in, there will be an "open area" outside the diameter of the new bushing.

The clock will probably work OK, but what do you all think...and what do you think I should do?

Bill

wbranko

Feb 1, 2004
Country
I am repairing an Ingraham Urania calendar clock with about 8 bushings that need to be replaced...its amazing (and unfortunate) that this clock kept running so long. It was incredibly dirty.

Anyway, the T4 bushing (face plate) is so oblong, that the channel grooved into the oil sink extends all the way to the plate. I can put a new bushing in, but I am concerned about how well it will hold and how it will look. The new bushing is not wide enough to cover the entire damaged area...so even after I put it in, there will be an "open area" outside the diameter of the new bushing.

The clock will probably work OK, but what do you all think...and what do you think I should do?

Bill

Robert M.

Nov 20, 2004
Bill,if you don't have any large blank bushings (no center hole) why don't you double bush it.Take one of your larger bushings,one that will cover the damaged area,install that,then ream out your larger bushing to accomodate the properly sized bushing that fits your pivot.Actually it makes a pretty clean repair job.I'm going under the assumption you don't own a lathe.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

wbranko

Feb 1, 2004
Country
Bob,

You are correct about my not owning a lathe...I am just beginning...hope to get one in the next couple of years.

The idea of double bushing had occurred to me, but as I am new, I was unsure this was a good way to go. This allows me to fix the problem and use skills and equipment I already have. I think I may go this way.

As for blank bushings, I will also check out my catalogs for 1.4 mm high blanks...do you know if KWM makes these...I suppose they must?

Thanks again!

:)

Bill

D

David Holk

If you have a round hole in the proper place, it will be a lot easier to use the next larger O.D. bushing and ream it out to fit the correct size bushing. Or you could use bushing wire and make a bushing, since bushing wire usually has a much larger O.D. for a given I.D. I am assuming you have appropriately sized broaches so that you can handn fit the bore.

David

Robert M.

Nov 20, 2004
I looked in Merritts' catalogue Bill.I didn't see any KWM blank bushings in a 1.4 mm but they did have 1.9 mm blank bushings .they are designated by 00 at the top of the catalogue page (page 116).I hope this is of some help to you.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

stewart

Aug 25, 2004
Hello Wbranko

Just bush it as usual. Leave the slot extending outside. It won't hurt the bushing's functioning. This way you are not removing so much plate material.

Stewart

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
For what it is worth, there are a number times I've used double bushings in cases where a previous repair person put one in the wrong place, and other situations also. Instead of using a blank, choose the larger bushing with the pivot hole slightly small than the diameter of the 2nd bushing you are to install. That way the hole is already there and centered and you only need to ream it out slightly for the 2nd bushing to fit.
A very quick job and works great.

wbranko

Feb 1, 2004
Country
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded. I have ordered the proper size bushings to double bush the hole. I will try that approach this time and see how it works...but thanks to everyone who offered advice!

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amznwmn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller