Real vs Fake Rolexs

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Kerry Chipman, May 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kerry Chipman

Kerry Chipman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2017
    One of my first ever post on NAWCC was to ask about a Rolex I have. The first response had a long paragraph about how everything about my watch was wrong and it was very very obviously a fake. Then there were several posts saying well maybe it's a fake. Then there were post saying it might be real. There was even a post saying I had intentionally taken pictures of the movement to hide something indicative. I was a bit shocked by this accusation. Honestly, even today, I would have no idea what to try to hide and I have integrity where I wouldn't ask a question here and post pictures trying to mislead. I had taken 2 pictures of the movment with the "rotor"(?) moved to show all the watch underneath.

Anyway I really enjoyed these two videos and wanted to share. This guy basically says fakes are really good and most all the tips about spotting a fake should not be taken as absolutes. In the 2nd video he compares a real vs fake and notes one of the first indicators is the feel is different. There was one font different that isn't hard to see the difference but without the real one next to it I wouldn't know or suspect anything.
    So without some definitive 'look at this spot and see how it's different from this real Rolex' IMHO we shouldn't call something fake. And even with a difference you have to ask could it be a quality error or something done to the watch over time. I still don't know if my Rolex is a fake or not. But to find out I'm going to take it to someone who can certify it.

I'm sure this will offend a bunch of you but maybe it will help some and temper the responses of others.
    No offence intended.

https://youtu.be/yRzXCcPiDMc
    https://youtu.be/_1idZQu_fqI

2. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Welcome Back

Do you have a link to your original thread - would be interesting to read again.

I know well these videos.

Firstly, identifying every time a genuine from a fake is a kin to getting your haircut on the internet - its NOT possible. We can only do our best.

However, with the correct movement photo of a Rolex, I can guarantee to state if its genuine or fake - NO doubt to that.
    BUT
    The latest fakes have genuine movements - not possible I hear people shouting - but its true!
    Movement genuine, but case/bracelet and dial all fake.

So, I have developed what I term "The Dirty Dozen" (checks) required to 100% authenticate a ROLEX.

In many cases, including those videos, I can see its a fake from the outside, but the counterfeits are getting so close to nearly impossible to tell.

Adam

3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
  4. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    musicguy likes this.
  5. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    for the record, fakes with real movements have around for 20 plus years.

6. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    And for the updated record - not like now!
    Now on SS sports watches - latest Rolex movement - Paraflex and Rolex patented Bleue Hairspring.
    Not like 20 years ago on odd 18kt Presidents - this is BIG business with SS sports watches - latest genuine movements!

Adam

7. Nookster

Nookster Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member Sponsor

Oct 5, 2010
    Retired
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Adam, enjoyed your class on fake Rolex's

Adam Harris likes this.
  8. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Thanks
    I think this will be the last year

9. mr_fixer

mr_fixer Registered User

May 19, 2006
    Male
    Just a 9-5 job making parts for cars.
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    About a month ago i stumbled upon a youtube video comparing 2 Rolex Daytona's, one real the other fake. What shocked me was the almost indenticallity of the Movement! The only way i could tell real from fake was the fake used a hairspring stud with a beat adjustment compared to a fixed "Rolex" hairspring mount. I wish i had enough money to buy the Chinese milling machines they used to make the fakes and start making non fake watches in America.
    Here is the link to that youtube video.

10. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    This is a good video, but if you know where to look there are both external and internal differences
    That said the latest fake movements are now better than this!
    A