Re-silvering a Jacques Tall case clock face

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by dgoerner, Jul 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dgoerner

dgoerner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello All
    I have been working on this clock for a while now, maybe someone can tell me what I have done wrong
    I wet sanded the face and then used the wax/shellac stick from timesavers to fill in the black, re-sanded, then silvered, I was proud of my work, then after a couple of hours, I cleared the face using a wipe on lacquer made by watco.
    what a mess the black started to streak and even some came out. What did I do wrong?

6x.jpg 2x.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The lacquer dissolved the wax. If you lacquer, you must use a light spray or wipe only once and lightly if using liquid. Many restorers just use a paste wax. The wax will last for years, and you can always rewax.

Frank

3. dgoerner

dgoerner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Frank that must be it when I wiped it, then I re-wiped it the second time, and what a mess. I just wanted to weep, now I start all over again.
    I will use wax this time, your right I can wax it again. I was so proud my first re-silver and I was so careful.

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    modern wax seems to struggle a bit with lacquer. Renaissance wax seems to be the solution.

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you want to use lacquer, use a fast drying spray, do not brush it on. As Frank said, only a light initial spray. Let it dry and follow up with one or two more sprays.

Uhralt

6. dgoerner

dgoerner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Uhralt, your opinion would you use a gloss?