• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Re-creating an old finish on a stripped clock

Copperdragon3

Aug 20, 2020
Country
Is there a way to re-create the antique look and patina on a clock that someone has stripped and refinished? There’s a beautiful Ingraham walnut kitchen clock I know of that I’m thinking about buying but all the age, patina and dark finish is gone. It looks dull now, especially since all the black in the engravings is gone. Is there a way to put the black back into all the engravings and get the stain and finish darker again, so it looks aged? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
When I refinished the ornate crest on a wall clock, I put a small drop of thin black acrylic paint and stamped it around with a paper towel to create a weathered look. It takes a few tries but eventually a nice, weathered finish was built up atop the silver crest. A very thin film of varnish followed this to ensure the 'weathering' didn't come right off. It was the same technique I use to weather various recreational models - works like a champ.

Photos of the work being done:

DSCN6454.JPG Case Cleanup.jpg

Some of these German household cases had metallic painted wood crests which make a habit of losing their paint with age.
The crest panels tend to have a slightly rough surface as opposed to the smooth polish of a crest that never got painted.
The crest also nicely accompanies the leaded glass paneling which serves as a window for the pendulum.

On your Kitchen case it would be ideal to gently line inside the engravings with a similar 'weathering' or dark staining. A fine brush would be ideal for application. Don't cake it up or it will look strange. If the wood finish is too bright and shiny, rub it down so it doesn't glare too much.

Copperdragon3

Aug 20, 2020
Country
Awesome: thanks for the tip! Should the case be gently rubbed with very fine steel wool first?

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
You can try rubbing it with very fine steel wool first. Cheap steel wool that's not fine enough will chew up the wood surface.
Practice on a scrap piece of wood if you can, that'll be the way to ensure it all works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB767
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent